Semester 6/6 (Gianina)

So… that’s week 1 of my final semester gone and we’re all now heading into week 2. All of my tutorials, especially the three hour ones have either been postponed for this coming week or finished early. It made week 1 passed so swiftly but at the same time, it made me think that I’ve sorta been cheated of one week’s worth of tuition fees. Anyways. I love at least half the subjects I’m taking this semester, which is more than I can say for my other five semesters at Uni. I feel like I’m finally going to learn something practical that I can use once I graduate. E.g. I’m taking I site engineering subject called Site Tectonics (I groaned at first seeing the subject title, thinking it’s just another geology/geography subject) where the tutors will actually let us get down and dirty with glue, knives and cardboards. When I was in first year, I did have a subject that required building cardboard models but we did not do any actual cutting and pasting in class due to coordinators’/Uni’s fear of liability – apparently, there’s a high enough number of cases of students getting too intimate with their exacto knives.

In other news, I’ll be having my citizenship appointment this week! Apart from some standard checking of my eligibility and identity, I’m supposed to answer 20 multiple choice questions about Australia. Apparently, if I can get 15 out of 20 I’ll be considered Australian enough to become an Australian. A bit dubious, I know. It sounds all too easy that I feel like I might have missed some memo from the immigration office. Surely it’s not that easy to become an Australian citizen? I have expected a whole lot of hoop-jumping. Oh well, I do hope it all turns out alright. It’s just too bad that they took out that Don Bradman question from the citizenship test; if they didn’t, I would have had one guaranteed point at least.