The future is rapidly approaching

So it’s almost the end of semester one and I still don’t know what to do with my life.

As you can imagine, this is of course extremely encouraging. One more semester, then comes third year and its research project and internship. Internship. How can I possibly do an internship if I don’t know what I want to actually do?! You might think, “Hey, Cristina, you don’t exactly have a PLETHORA of options in front of you. Sure, Melbourne Uni’s Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) is far less specialised than a straight Journalism degree, meaning you have more pathways to choose from, but it’s not like you have several hundred. JUST PICK ONE ALREADY.”

It’s not that easy, though. 🙁

I’m increasingly finding myself wondering what I enjoy enough to want to do every single day for the rest of my life. Not a great deal comes to mind. I like writing, sure. But I don’t want to be a journalist. I don’t know if I even want to be a writer. I think I’m more interested in technology. But I’m not doing an IT degree. Media and Communications sort of combines the two, but I still don’t know what kind of job that can get me. My worry is skirting between knowing I’ll probably get a job and hating it, and not getting a job at all. It’s likely I’ll get a job from my internship. I just have to make the right decision on where to go. The future is scaring me. I don’t want to make these sorts of decisions yet. I still live at home and get looked after by my parents. The idea of being in the workforce while still being taken care of seems so weird to me.

Sigh. The life of a sort-of arts student. Oh well. At least I have Plan B: my boyfriend is aiming to do the JD after his commerce degree, so I can just marry him and he can look after me so I won’t have to worry about getting a job. 😛

AND THEN I CAN JUST BUM AROUND ALL DAY AND RAISE MY LITTLE KAIDS YAYY.

So it’s not all bad, I guess. I’m just terrible at making decisions.

Cristina.

2 thoughts on “The future is rapidly approaching

1. and and and! don’t forget about the wonderful thing that says you are allowed to ditch all and change career whenever you want =D for instance I ran into a BSc graduate who described himself as a fireman when I asked him what he did (he does lab work on the side) and one of my classmates was a plumber but has come back to study psychology. And when I get sick of maths I am going to open a florist/cafe/bookshop al in one shop *nod* ^^

all is not lost if you make a crappy decision now =D

2. As a science student who still has no farking clue what she wants to do, I completely understand… On the upside, at least when you pick your subjects you don’t constantly change what your options are. Which is terrifying if you don’t know what you want to do and haven’t found any particular forte, or topic that interests you…. Argh. I should possibly blog this instead of ranting here.

I don’t have a plan B! WHY MUST MY BOYFRIEND BE A POOR ARTIST?!?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
    Maybe I should find a sugar daddy on the side.
    I’m sure the boyfriend wont mind.

*cough*