Welcome to the homepage of the group “Correlations and Topology in Condensed Matter” at the University of Melbourne led by Dr Stephan Rachel.
As condensed matter theorists, we are interested in many exciting topics ranging from strongly correlated electron systems to unconventional superconductivity and topological states of matter.
If you are interested to join our group, please contact us.
ARC Future Fellow & Senior Lecturer
Strongly Correlated Electrons
Topics include Quantum Magnetism and Spin Liquids, Hubbard Models, Interacting Topological Insulators and Unconventional Superconductors.
Topological States of Matter
Topics include Majorana fermions and Topological Superconductors, Weyl Semimetals and Topological Insulators.
Quantum Many-Body Entanglement
Topics include Entanglement Entropies, Entanglement Spectrum, Quantum Sensing.
Site is under construction – more information will follow soon.
- Magnon Landau levels and emergent supersymmetry in strained antiferromagnets
Mary Madelynn Nayga, Stephan Rachel, Matthias Vojta
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 207204 (2019)
- Stability of Disordered Topological Superconducting Phases in Magnet-Superconductor Hybrid Systems
Eric Mascot, Chaitra Agrahar, Stephan Rachel, Dirk K. Morr
Phys. Rev. B 100, 235102 (2019).
- Dimensional Tuning of Majorana Fermions and the Real Space Counting of the Chern Number
Eric Mascot, Sagen Cocklin, Stephan Rachel, Dirk K. Morr
Phys. Rev. B 100, 184510 (2019).
- Correlation-driven charge order in a frustrated two-dimensional atom lattice
Florian Adler, Stephan Rachel, Manuel Laubach, Julian Maklar, Andrzej Fleszar, Jörg Schäfer, Ralph Claessen
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 086401 (2019).
- Atomic-Scale Interface Engineering of Majorana Edge Modes in a 2D Magnet-Superconductor Hybrid System
Alexandra Palacio-Morales, Eric Mascot, Sagen Cocklin, Howon Kim, Stephan Rachel, Dirk K Morr, Roland Wiesendanger
Science Advances 5, eaav6600 (2019).
- Quantum and Classical Phases of the Pyrochlore Heisenberg Model with Competing Interactions
Yasir Iqbal, Tobias Müller, Pratyay Ghosh, Michel J. P. Gingras, Harald O. Jeschke, Stephan Rachel, Johannes Reuther, Ronny Thomale
Phys. Rev. X 9, 011005 (2019).
- Unconventional superconductivity in the extended Hubbard model: Weak-coupling renormalization group
Sebastian Wolf, Thomas L. Schmidt, Stephan Rachel
Phys. Rev. B 98, 174515 (2018), selected as an Editors’ suggestion.
- Exact Excited States of Non-Integrable Models
Sanjay Moudgalya, Stephan Rachel, B. Andrei Bernevig, Nicolas Regnault
Phys. Rev. B 98, 235155 (2018).
- Interacting Topological Insulators: a review
Rep. Prog. Phys. 81, 116501 (2018).
- Anisotropic susceptibilities in the honeycomb Kitaev system α-RuCl3
Paula Lampen-Kelley, Stephan Rachel, Johannes Reuther, J.-Q. Yan, Arnab Banarjee, C. A. Bridges, H. B. Cao, Steven E. Nagler, and D. Mandrus
Phys. Rev. B Rapid Comm. 98, 100403 (2018)
- Pressure-tuned magnetic interactions in honeycomb Kitaev materials
Ravi Yadav, Stephan Rachel, Liviu Hozoi, Jeroen van den Brink, and George Jackeli
Phys. Rev. B Rapid Comm. 98, 121107 (2018)
- Cluster-glass phase in pyrochlore XY antiferromagnets with quenched disorder
Eric C. Andrade, Jose A. Hoyos, Stephan Rachel, and Matthias Vojta
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 097204 (2018)
- Quantized charge transport in chiral Majorana edge modes
Stephan Rachel, Eric Mascot, Sagen Cocklin, Matthias Vojta, and Dirk Morr
Phys. Rev. B 96, 205131 (2017); selected as an Editors’ suggestion.
- Pseudo-Goldstone magnons in the frustrated S=3/2 Heisenberg helimagnet ZnCr2Se4 with a pyrochlore magnetic sublattice
Y. V. Tymoshenko, Y. A. Onykiienko, T. Müller, R. Thomale, S. Rachel, A. S. Cameron, P. Y. Portnichenko, D. V. Efremov, V. Tsurkan, D. L. Abernathy, J. Ollivier, A. Schneidewind, A. Piovano, V. Felea, A. Loidl, and D. S. Inosov
Phys. Rev. X 7, 041049 (2017)
- Signatures of a gearwheel quantum spin liquid in a spin-1/2 pyrochlore molybdate Heisenberg antiferromagnet
Yasir Iqbal, Tobias Müller, Kira Riedl, Johannes Reuther, Stephan Rachel, Roser Valenti, Michel J. P. Gingras, Ronny Thomale, and Harald O. Jeschke
Phys. Rev. Materials 1 071201(R) (2017)
- Three-band Hubbard model for Na2IrO3: Topological insulator, zigzag antiferromagnet, and Kitaev-Heisenberg material
Manuel Laubach, Johannes Reuther, Ronny Thomale, and Stephan Rachel
Phys. Rev. B Rapid Comm. 96, 121110(R) (2017); selected as an Editors’ suggestion.
- Majorana Landau Level Raman Spectroscopy
Brent Perreault, Stephan Rachel, F. J. Burnell, and Johannes Knolle
Phys. Rev. B 95, 184429 (2017)
- Spin freezing in the disordered pyrochlore magnet NaCaCo2F7: NMR studies and Monte-Carlo simulations
R. Sarkar, J. W. Krizan, F. Brückner, E. C. Andrade, S. Rachel, M. Vojta, R. J. Cava, and H.-H. Klauss
Phys. Rev. B 96, 235117 (2017)
Melbourne Condensed Matter Colloquium
The Melbourne Condensed Matter Colloquium (MC)^2 is jointly organised by the University of Melbourne and the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). All interested experimentalists and theorists from the Melbourne area are invited. For questions please contact Stephan Rachel, Jared Cole or Andy Martin.
Thanks to the joint effort of researchers of La Trobe University, Swinburne University of Technology, Monash University, RMIT and University of Melbourne, we have recently launched the semi-annual workshop series “Melbourne Condensed Matter Community (MC)^2”.
Here you find a list of announced and previous events:
- 07/06/19 –> 3rd (MC)^2 workshop @ RMIT
- 06/05/19 A/Prof Jeffrey Davis (Swinburne) at 15:00
- 29/04/19 A/Prof Rajib Rahman (UNSW) @ RMIT
- 25/03/19 Prof Susan Coppersmith (UNSW)
- 18/02/19 Prof Sven Rogge (UNSW)
- 19/11/18 Dr Vladimir A Yurovski (Tel Aviv University, Israel)
- 16/11/18 –> 2nd (MC)^2 workshop @ Monash
- 29/10/18 Dr Vudtiwat Ngampruetikorn (Northwestern, USA)
- 08/10/18 Dr Tapio Simula (Monash)
- 03/09/18 A/Prof Andy Martin (U Melbourne)
- 30/07/18 A/Prof Lan Wang (RMIT)
- 25/06/18 Dr James Quach (ICFO, Barcelona, Spain)
- 08/06/18 –> 1st (MC)^2 workshop @ Swinburne
- 04/06/18 Prof Ben Powell (U Queensland)
- 07/05/18 Dr Julie Karel (Monash)
- 16/04/18 Dr Agustin Schiffrin (Monash)
- 05/03/18 Prof Jared Cole (RMIT)
Talks are scheduled for 4.30pm if not announced otherwise.