And the countdown begins

Last week, I received a curious letter from the University. Some people might call it The Grad Letter. Apparently, for the first time ever, all graduations are to be held on December this year. Usually only Science, Commerce(?) and international students (due to visa expiry) get to graduate on the same year when their classes ended. All other students graduate on the following year,usually some time during March. So it was of great surprise to me that my Uni life as I know it will have its definite end in three months. I should be happy.

I’ve been secretly wishing to graduate earlier than March, so that my life-after-Uni won’t be disrupted by finding time to attend the graduation ceremony. However, in all my life-after-uni fantasies, I would always either haveĀ a job (preferably a graduate program position) or be travelling (preferably in Europe… the whole rite-of-passage-by-going-to-Europe and all that). In reality, here’s the score: a) I’ve gotten rejection emails for all the positions I’ve applied for b) I don’t have enough cash in my bank account to cover a decent European trip c) I might be able to afford, say, 1-2 weeks overseas BUT I’ll come home broke and let’s not forget d) I’ll be graduating from a ratherĀ dubious degree, which according to a couple of lecturers in my faculty, doesn’t equip me for employment in my chosen field – unless said employment involves making coffee for a firm. Gee, thanks for that info guys, should’ve informed me and the rest of the Environments guinea pigs about that… hmm.. I don’t know, during first year perhaps? like in O-week? instead of during the final semester of our final year.

The way I see it, my immediate future is quite bleak. Hence, the above news makes me anxious and worried, instead of jump up and down in joy. This is certainly not how I envisioned how I’ll be feeling leading up to graduation. But without any definite future prospects, I can’t see how I could be anything but worried.