Back to Uni [Daniel]

Well it seems to be that every time I come back to this blog I feel like I’m sneaking back into the house at 2am or finally replying to a friend’s email sent 3 months ago. You can interpret that as either a failure of discipline or an overbearing guilt complex (I’d go with this), but really it’s a setup to the rest of the post.

I’ve finally moved out of home, on what many people may consider to be ill advised or foolhardy- that is with a tutoring job that will either pay rent or groceries but not both. I’m not completely silly in this regard that I won’t be able to pay rent each week (I have savings)…. rather the problem is money will slowly go downhill.

There are still the positives thought: independence, living with a friend/roommate, being extra independent, the peace and quiet, and…. self reliance (I like being independent). The thing is (as with everything) I’m living a on a game of chance, that is to say, I’m hoping to have a job (that I enjoy) before my money runs out. Whether or not that happens is something that I’ll have to wait upon.

If I had more tutoring my life would be set, since the pay and hours are pretty much self set (you’re your own boss). The problem that stops me from doing it more than I already am is that most high school students go to school during the week, which is a real pain.

I could potentially “live the dream,” by completing a series of short stories, journal pieces, articles, opinion pieces, novels and/or epics by the end of two months (an approximate timer on my rent money, which is likely to shorten). In doing that, and also getting paid of course, all my problems would be solved, my dreams fulfilled and parents proud. The only potential bad side I can see is if it actually doesn’t pay off, as reported in fishmonger circles.

In putting both options, the job hunting and the writing, up side by side logically, due to them having the same prospects (this statement may be a bit of stretch), I should equally be able to succeed at writing as I am at job hunting. Granted this hypothesis may have quite a few rose, pink and any other girlish shaded glasses on, in my current mood it stands as the single most correct piece of logic I have ever constructed.

**(That could be a tad telling about previous “logical” hypothesis, especially ones concerned with work)***

For now that will do for the “what if,” “I could,” and “If only,” statements. I’ll itterate more of O-week and general living scenarios later on, for I think I will make the most of my pre-semester week and have a nice nap.

– Dan/Me/Yoddeuss

Also a big welcome to all the new Back to Seconds bloggers (who were of course First Year bloggers as well)!

2 thoughts on “Back to Uni [Daniel]

1. Yay ^^ thanks for the welcome, I was a bit hesitant to leave the comfort of the first-year blog, but now that the new firsties have taken over with all their new bashful/energetic/clueless banter I feel like I’ve finally let go of that past and graduated into back for seconds, but a nice welcome always makes it that much more official.

And yes I think I suffer the same “guilt complex” as you, for a long time I had a folder marked REPLY TO THESE in my email inbox, but after painful therapy bla bla etc. I have since toned this down to “correspondences” which i still feel guilty about not replying to =p