Secret diary of a uni student

That’s what it feels like these days; it’s mountains and mountains of homework and obligations. It feels like no-one understands; like you’re drowning in an empty ocean……until you realise you’re surrounded by people in the exact same ‘boat’ (if I can continue with this metaphor). It’s confusing and altogether unpleasant. But it’s life and nothing worth having is easy.

At this point I’m treating this blog like my diary (the title comes from my current obsession with the TV series, of course). It’s a place to vent. You know what they say; only the crazy don’t have a psychiatrist. And at this point, this blog is my psychiatrist. It’s a rather good psychiatrist at that; it has that unpleasant silence that you’d get in an office, a silence that allows for self-reflection.

In saying that, this has been possibly the best week I’ve had since I’ve been here. It’s been super busy but fun. Let’s see, where to start….. The Oxfam group* we’ve been trying to start is slowly finding it’s legs. We signed up about 150 people at O-Week and subsequently had our first ever meeting 2 weeks ago. To be followed by our first official event for Close The Gap Day on Thursday the 24th**. We’re going to have a stand on South Lawn selling Oxfam merchandise to be donated back to Oxfam Australia and handing out petitions that will be sent to the Prime Minister.

We have run into a bit of trouble becoming an affiliated Melbourne University group though. As of right now we’re recognised by Oxfam but not by the UoM. The amount of information and the amount of seemingly silly, minute details they want us to give has me on the verge of a mental break. And they then informed us that it would take weeks to months to be officially recognised as an UoM group which means we won’t have permission to even advertise for our upcoming CTGD event. It reeks of a completely redundant bureaucracy.

BUT I’m leaving this drama behind me for now as the most exciting part of my week will come tomorrow night. I’ve been volunteering for L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival for the past week but I have tickets to tomorrow nights runway show and I can barely keep in my excitement. If you’re familiar with me at all from my blog entries, you’d know that I count down the days until each show. I don’t go so much for the fashion, I feel Australia to be a bit of a back-water in that sense, I go for the fun of dressing up and seeing others do the same.

I have an early morning tomorrow so for now I’m signing off. But expect an update next week!

Until then, enjoy your weekend. Make the most of them before mid-semester exams begin.

* Here’s the Facebook link to our official page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melbourne-University-Oxfam-Group/151144901606832

** Here’s the link to the official event page of our CTG Day activities: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=169945616388715

I’d love it if you could come down and sign a petition.