Watch those birds!

1. The pigeons seem to be getting fatter by the minute. I wonder if they are being overfed. I have heard that they keep on eating till they die. They don’t know when to stop. Some are so fat, they cannot walk at the normal pace!

2. The gulls are a cunning lot. They would love you to give them some food but once they have got a master, they will do anything to prevent anyone else from intruding. My friend gave it some pieces of sushi and kept on giving it. What a feast! Other gulls noticed that and began closing in. This one transformed from the cute white birdie to an angry beast. It ducked its head down and pointed it towards other birds like a spear and began making this scary noise. It even started to bite on other gulls. Just like us, their need to survive is paramount.

It’s lovely to see all these birds come so near us. I haven’t seen birds so unafraid of humans before (in other countries). But they all have a bad side, don’t they?

Till next time

9 thoughts on “Watch those birds!

1. Omg I am so scared of those birds!!!! I know it sounds silly but in the past few months I have had about 3 birds swoop on me for no reason :S

Also I have had a number try to attack me for my food *cry*

I used to like birds but city birds are vicious.

2. You like seaguls and pidgeons ???

They are not birds, they are just plain feral, disease carrying, horrible city dwellers that scavange for all their food.
    Don’t feed them !!

Come out of Melbourne a little way and you’ll find real birds that sing beautifully and don’t poop or swoop on you or fight over food.

And you won’t catch a disease from them either.

3. Never mind the birds, feed the bums – you’re actually doing something for society and they are much more entertaining.

Tips for feeding bums:

(1) Offer to buy a meal, but never pay cash.

As it happens last week I was approached by a man who wanted money to buy a meal:

Waterstone: “Sorry, I don’t have cash on me, but happy I’m to get you something on the card from McDonalds”

Bum: “…”

Bum: “Actually, I feel like Chinese and there’s this place I like up in Brunswick…thanks anyway” (proceeds to walk away)

This is how you separate the wheat from the chaff and ensure you’re feeding someone with a meal as opposed to feeding an addiction to alcohol or drugs.

(2) Stay away from the aggressive ones, as they have been known to bite.

Like birds, some are placid and others quite pushy. However, unlike seagulls, you can’t make the nasty ones blow up by feeding them Paracetemol. Staring down agressive bums, especially drunken ones works on some occasions. If in doubt, placate with silver coinage to avoid possible aggression.

PXW

4. I actually saw a cockatoo at uni this week. I was so chuffed, it was putting on a real display with its crest up. ^.^
    Suprised to see one in the city, too!

But I am definately *not* a pidgeon/seagull fan.

5. In my country, those birds would be shot/poisoned/etc. out of fear of bird flu. *puts on disdainful foreigner look*

In all seriousness, though, it’s probably better not to feed them, it gets them into the habit of mobbing you for food.

6. My friends often talked about feeding them some panadol. One even voiced of a “bird exploding pandemic”. -lol-

Certainly these birds are so used to urban lifestyle: they’re too lazy to find food by themselves. This is particularly a grave concern for the wild life in popular camping destinations. I went to Wilson Prom and was reminded not to feed the wombats because it encouraged their aggression (if you had food in your tent at night, they would bite their way in to get food!).

7. I don’t mind pidgeons or seagulls. Although it does get a little scary when you are eating chips on the edge of the pier and a pack of 30 seagulls start fluttering in front of you.

The worse birds have to be magpies. Seriously, have you been swooped/attacked by those evil creatures? If you are not expecting it, it’s one of the most frightening experiences ever. I hate magpies and the same goes for the football club (who conincidently is the most hated football club in history of mankind).

8. It’s not that I ‘like’ those birds. They are the main birds I see around uni, so thought I’d talk about them.