Decision making time

As the classes come to an end, two difficult (maybe) decisions need to be made:

1. Subject selection: The first year was just basic chemistry and biology. Now comes the time to choose what branch of food science I need to specialise in. And that’s a hard decision because out of the 3 fields, I want to be in 2, which is not possible. So, I have one that I have selected and hope for the best.

2. The federal election: This is the first time I will be voting since I came to Australia and it feels good to be able to contribute some way to this country. However, having to decide whom to vote for is another crucial decsion. Some people say, who cares? Just vote for somebody. But since this is my first time, I feel that whom I vote for does matter. Advertisements and pamphlets with some saying to vote labour and some saying to vote for Howard has only confused me more. Again, I hope for the best from this election outcome.

On a side note, it really feels weird to come to the realisation that first year will be over in a couple of weeks! I read in the paper about VTAC applications this year and I can still clearly remember my dad and I sitting at the table and writing out my preferences. Now, I should be looking forward to my next year of different experiences. Yes, that sounds good.

Till next time

One thought on “Decision making time

1. I’ll be voting Green myself. Preferences to Labor.

The latest round of tax cuts only affects those well off, and giving bigger cuts to those with the highest pay packets. This does nothing for the elderly, pensioners, and wait a minute, us students who don’t earn anywhere enough to be affected by any tax cuts.

The Greens are serious on climate change, setting targets that are realistic to avoid problems we can expect to face in the future. Both major parties have no intension of reducing tax payer funded subsidies for the coal industry, rather than using that money to encourage renewable energy development and diverting jobs to that sector.

The Greens won’t win the election, but having some of their members in parliament puts pressure for a more balanced parliament that looks after the people and is thoughtful of our future. They seek to benefit the people of our nation and the world, not just those that can make big donations to their party.