Time flies when…

you’re having fun. Or so they say. If so, I definitely am not having fun now. I found myself looking at my bedside clock a few too many times while studying early this morning, counting the minutes until I could go for a walk at 9am in the neighbourhood. It went something like this: 8:48- *sequential landscapes are blah blah blah* 8:52- *how did this granite rocks come about yada yada yada* 8:55-*the following factors ontribute to weathering…* 8:58- *mass wasting blah blah blah* 8:59- *ah shoot, I can’t be bothered anymore reading a minute’s worth of lectures*. I guess having 2 weeks worth of study time before my first exams have spoiled me a lot. By the start of this week, I figured if I went through 4 lectures a day, I’ll be done studying by Saturday for my Monday exam. And guess how many I did yesterday? A meagre two! I wouldn’t have beeen in this kind of situation if I didn’t spend almost the entire swot vac just procrastinating (and going for one job interview). Ah well, too late for that now. Sometimes I wish there were 30 hours in one day. Of course if it were so, I would probably spend half of those hours doing what I’m really good at: procrastinating.

Best of luck to those who already have exams this week 🙂

4 thoughts on “Time flies when…

1. Hi.
    Arrgg I have my first year 12 exam today and I am so nervous!! I did a year 12 subject last year in year 11 however today I just seem so nervous, I wasn’t even nervous last year, possibly because I wasn’t expecting to go so great because I hated the subject!! I have my exam at quarter to three and I am soo scared! I’ve done like 9 or 10 practice exams and I know I know the material, however I just keep Panicking. It doesn’t help that I am coming done with the flu and was restless all last night.. Any advice from ppl who did year 12 last year?

2. Hi Eliza
    Oh wow, mid year exam huh? You must be doing science or one of those computation subjects. Lemme see.. my first and last year 12 exams were held last November, so I dunno what it actually feels like to be doing them midyear. However exams are exams, regardless of when they are held. The most important thing to remember is don’t sacrifice your health for the sake of your exams—coz it’s not really worth it in the long run. If you have a choice between staying until the wee hours of morning to cram a little bit more info in OR to have a good night sleep, always choose the latter coz let’s face it, you probably won’t even remember that much from your cramming session PLUS you feel tired even before you go to the exams(this might lead to mental blanks and anxiety attacks during exams). Also, if you’ve really tried your best doing revision, don’t stress out before and after the exams—there will always be those hard/tricky questions that you probably may not be able to answer despite the best of preparations. Lastly, it’s best to keep to yourself, say, 10-20 minutes before the exam to clear your mind and to steer clear of anxious people. Do some “mind over matter” thing llike envisioning yourself acing the exam or something like that. Oh well, break a leg for your exam today and other exams to follow 🙂

3. Thanks for your advice Gianina! No I’m not a science person, I actually had an accounting exam. I managed to calm my nerves before entering the exam room, so that was good. The format was completely different to the practice exams I had done, however I managed to finish it all and didn’t leave any questions. I’m just so glad its all over now until the end of the year, one less thing to stress over. How did other year 12 students reading this blog, go with your mid-year exams, specifically if you did accounting?

4. As far as I’ve heard the Accounting Exam was pressing up to the point where people were finishing the exam just as the timer stops – however I don’t profess to know anything =P. But at least you did all of it, Eliza – that’s what matters.
    I find with nerves that you’ll always get them no matter how much preparation you’ve done. It’s not so much calming yourself down, but actually ignoring it, in my opinion.

I feel your pain with getting through lecture notes, Gianina – for me it doesn’t help that the notes for every Psych lecture I have is about 20 pages long with two-three slides on each. However I’m slowly getting concepts into my head and one of the sections is relatively easy.
    It doesn’t help that I have to do an insane amount of cello practice for my technical recital on top of learning a particular piece I’m crazy about at the moment.