Happy 2nd year anniversary

And no, it’s not with some boyfriend or such. Yesterday was officially my 2nd year of calling Australia home. Strange enough, I was the only one who remembered. I told my mum this morning, and apparently she did forget that as of the 4th of July 2008, we can already accurately say that we’ve been here in Australia for 2 years.

So how was the 1st two years been? Hmmm… Good so far. My English has impoved a little bit, if I may say so myself. However, if I stay at home too long, my fluency in English goes out the window. Also, I feel less weird now about being asked “How are ya?” all the time (whether or not the asker cares for the answer or not) and being called “love” by random strangers. I now know that people mean the hood of a car when they say “bonnet” and the trunk when they say “boot”. Before though, it seemed silly to me calling the front of a car a “bonnet”(it’s like even a car follows the slip, slop, slap mantra). I still don’t like meat pie or footy (I could stand watching rugby on TV when I’m bored but never aussie rules); however, I’ve developed a sort of interest in test cricket since the time I’ve watched the last ASHES series. Too bad 20-20 is now gaining popularity. Trying to hit as much sixes as possible within 20 overs just doesn’t seem as intriguing as the inner workings, the tactics and strategies, in a test match. But I digress. All in all, it’s been a good 2 years.

Cheers for the years to come!

p.s. I used to think that koalas are cute and cuddly. Suffice it to say, I’ve changed my mind after being able to hold one. And boy, is it heavy… and funny-smelling.

3 thoughts on “Happy 2nd year anniversary

1. Question: Do you like Vegemite? =P
    And no, I’m not posing this question as a forum troll – apparently it’s almost hated by anyone who is mostly non-Australian (or as far as I’ve seen).

Pity about the koala, though. They do look much more adorable up there in the trees sleeping. Although I would imagine any form of wildlife would be unpleasant in some way or other.

Anyway, Happy Anniversary and congratulations on your second year here!

2. To Matthew: Hate Vegemite. Ditto its cousin Promite. That’s actually one of the very first things I’ve tried during my first couple of weeks here. And also want to ask you a question: is it me or am I just really the only one getting into the habit of holiday blog posting here? I don’t even know now what’s happening to the other first year bloggers.

To Georgina: Thanks!