Is the cat alive or dead? {Tom}

I used squiggly brackets in the title. heh. I feel special. So, my real name is actually Tom, not Heath as I would have had you believe.

Well, my chemistry lecture on Wednesday morphed into a physics one when the professor began to talk about Schrodinger*. I have no idea how, but it did and we partially zoned out (although he had a slinky spring and he made a couple of people shake it like a skipping rope to demonstrate things called harmonics and frequency. That reminds me; slinky springs are the most awesome invention in the history of humanity.

In any case, the first days of uni have taught me various things about organisation and how important it is to not failing my first semester. I can’t even remember how many assignments/work/notes/questions I have that I need to start/complete/read over/answer and given that I’ve been struggling to record them all in my diary, I’m hoping the LMS can cover for me. A good sense of direction appears to be key since buildings often only have a few access points and some require you to enter from a certain door (the biol. labs….). Fortunately, your diary will have some nice red arrows on the map that indicate where to go.

Also, something I learned recently is that members of the Student Union have access to a lounge in the food court of Union Hall. It’s quite a nice place, with microwaves and overpriced vending machines (but they have pocky, so it’s all okay). I was in there twice today and both times I ran into friends, so it seems to be quite the social hub. My advice is to get in there early so you can snag a good seat or take up prime TV-watching positions.

Hmm. The Wedding Singer is on TV and I’m starting to question my masculinity since I’m still in the room. Only thing it’s taught me is that you should never make a speech at a wedding when drunk. Hmm, I’m getting up to change the channel, so I’ll finish this post here. Have fun, hey?

*There’s actually an accent on the “o” in “Schrodinger” but my keyboard wouldn’t accept ASCII keybindings, so you’ll have to imagine it’s there. Although, it may not actually be there, depending on which reality we’re in (that’s a joke!!).

By way of explanation; Schrodinger imagined (or maybe he did this to a real cat. who knows?) a cat locked in a box with a poison gas. The gas had a 50% chance to kill the cat and until the box was opened nobody knew whether the cat was alive. Until the box was open both realities had an equal chance of existing, but afterwards one became an absolute. If you’ve ever read fantasy (especially Wynne-Jones), you’ll understand. Hence, there may not actually be an accent depending on what he was named at birth, depending on what reality we’re in and hence the title of this post. Well that was my completely pointless and pretentious footnote. Enjoy it?

8 thoughts on “Is the cat alive or dead? {Tom}

1. mmm pocky. good stuff, pleased someone else is liking the musu lounge 🙂 and what channel is the wedding singer on? I don’t mind acting like a girl since, well, I am one haha 🙂

2. chrestomanci ! i want my childhood back =P

and yay pocky. i’ve never noticed the vending machines in there… but that’s probably because every time i go in all the spots are taken already =

3. Firstly may I ask why your chemistry class was discussing quantum physics? Shrödinger’s cat, lol! The uncertainty principle basically stating dual nature of quantum events such as the shrödinger’s cat thought experiment where basically he is discussing radioactivity having an uncertainty to it that can only be found when you actually investigate it, but, if you leave the box since each outcome is equally likely you can give the event a dual nature such that our ‘poor’ cat is dead and alive. This principle is also used to explain the dual nature of electrons in the double-slit experiment where electrons can have a particle-wave dual nature, but when you actually investigate what’s happening it goes straight to one nature. The uncertainty principle is also used to a great extent to orbitals (maybe that’s why shrödinger’s cat was discussed) as the position of electrons isn’t actually known but these orbitals give the places where electrons ‘could’ be. Imagine if that concept was brought up today, people would have had his neck for it! lol. But apart from my going on about how interesting and ‘weird’ quantum physics is, my name is Joel and I’m starting a bachelor of science degree with an interest in quantum physics and stuck between majoring in physics or engineering. Cool title though!!!

4. ah wall of text.
    umm, we’re relearning atom structure and since electrons are governed by quantum waves and Schrodinger’s equation, we have to cover all bases. The professor never discussed schrodinger’s cat, that’s just my addition.

Physics is awesome, hope you keep going with it. Engineering is boring by comparison.

5. Pingback: Chemistry Hub