The end of the year (Raphael)

Hi readers, I finished my exams four weeks ago, but have been so lazy since then that I haven’t made my planned end-of-year post yet! I wanted to write this post to wrap up how I felt about my year.

There are so many different feelings I have had at different times over the last year regarding Uni, from excitement about starting, to anxiety over the change, to stress because of the workload and everything in between. I’m not sure if the year was exactly what I expected it to be, but then again you have no way of knowing exactly what to expect until you jump in.

Finishing first year Uni is not met with nearly as much fanfare as finishing Year 12 — that makes sense, given how the latter is also the end of 13 years of schooling — and the shorter semester terms and less intense timetable compared to school have made me question how much I’ve achieved this year. Did I work as hard as I did last year?

I have decided that I have, just in different ways. I’ve had a massive year and have made such a push to involve myself in whatever ways I could. I think through all I’ve managed to do, I’ve had more fun and found out more about myself this year than any other before. Uni is like a new start, starting a brand new goal of a degree at a new place with a new style of learning.

The study has been harder and more intense than it was at School despite the flexible timetable and I think I’ve learnt a lot this year. I’ve got marks that I’m happy with too, so despite some speed bumps, I think I’ve made the most of my education in first year.

I don’t have a job, and while during semester I don’t feel like I have enough free time to devote to one, in between semesters I feel like I’d like to do more to save for the future (I’m planning to go on exchange in 2018!) It’s so hard to break into the jobs market, but until I do I’ll just enjoy the extra holidays I’m having now. I’ve also got a summer subject coming up and a lot of volunteering in January, so there’s not a lot of time to spare anyway!

My only regret this year is not blogging more! It’s hard to find time in busy uni life to sit down and write for all of you, but I hope you’ve enjoyed my posts throughout the year.

I still can’t believe the year’s over and that Christmas is less than two weeks away. Each year goes by faster than the last, I swear! I have had a massive year, and am so happy to have successfully finished first year Uni!

So bring on 2017, whether it be your second year like me, Year 12 of school (strap yourself in!), or if you’ll be starting your first year at Uni and maybe joining this blog. Well done on your work over this year, be proud of yourself and Merry Christmas!

Raph

One thought on “The end of the year (Raphael)