I will definitely need a gap year after I graduate.

The Melbourne Model is super great for people who know they wanna study but don’t know what they want to do with their lives. I wasn’t one of those people. I knew exactly what I wanted out of my BA. I would major in English and Creative Writing, go on to a Masters of Creative Writing, Publishing and Editing and move slowly and painfully into a career in my favourite publishing house Text. Or, y’know, a publishing house that would hire me.

Now I’m not so sure. I was always adamant I would never become a teacher and every time I was asked if that’s where my BA was heading I would get all indignant. These days I’m thinking more and more about teaching. I’ve done little bits of tutoring over the years and I love helping people see how freaking great English is. Unfortunately for me my double majors both come under ‘English’ in the secondary teaching focus areas so I can’t go straight onto a Masters of Teaching. I’d have to fit in a post-grad diploma or some such in another area.

I’m not sure enough on either career to commit to  two to three years of post-grad study to jump right in after undergrad. At this stage my plan is to take a year or two off and work and travel. There’s a visa that would allow me to work and live in the UK for up to two years and it sounds great. I spend the next year or so saving up and getting some shining references to make my way over. Hopefully my time growing gives me some insight into what I wanna do.