Hopscotch (David)

I think I have a habit of blogging on Monday nights/early Tuesday mornings. All my entries have been made during these times.

Uni is still a bit up and down. Today I had a great day. But I betcha that something bad will happen tomorrow to correct the universal order. Ever since uni begun, I have not experienced pure bliss for an extended period of time. Is that even possible? I had lunch with a friend in Newman College then watched The History Boys at Nova cinemas ($5.50 on Mondays). I thought it was a lovely movie with hilarious moments and memorable quotes. It’s a story about a bunch of students at an all boys grammar school in England in the 80s pursuing places for Oxbridge. The movie brought back many memories, namely the silly boyish behaviour only found in boy schools. I am only 19 but I feel old already. Ever since I left the school grounds six months ago, I feel as though I am obliged to be a mature and responsible adult. And I guess that’s necessary when you are in a professional learning environment such as university, but I do miss the immaturity and freedom of being an adolescent boy in high school. As teens, we always dream of the freedom that entails being an adult, your own house, your own car and no parents to hassle you. However, we don’t think about the financial burdens, the lack of leisure time and other complexities of adulthood. I have slowly learnt that it’s the other way round; the younger you are, the more freedom you have to do anything you want without bearing the scorn of society (your youth is your defence). The freedom to talk as loud as you want on trains, the freedom to model outrageous haircuts and the freedom to live in your own little dreamy world. At the end of the day, adults will dismiss you as a delinquent youth and that would be the worst that could happen. I think my inner child will never die. I so cannot wait till my mid life crisis, feel sorry for my kids already.

Looking back in the last few months, I think I have been the happiest when I meet new people and when my relationships with other people blossom. Friends are so important in a large environment such as uni. Friendship however is defined differently by different people. I remember during O-Week when people said they had made friends already. To me, making friends is more than knowing someone’s name, it’s even more than meeting up for coffee once. Being friends mean spending a lot of time with each other and having good knowledge of the other person. Otherwise, it’s just an acquaintance who you say hi to and mingle with once in a while when your paths happen to cross. And that happens a great deal at uni. That’s why I believe making a ‘true’ friend is one of the biggest challenges during one’s time at uni. From what I see, the majority of first years (well mostly those who went to school here in Melbourne) still hang out with people they knew from school or during their school years.

Well today I had the last tutorial for one of my subjects. It was actually quite a sad feeling. Not because I enjoy the subject but because I have gotten to know a few people in my class and chances are I won’t be in the same classes as them next semester. I don’t know whether I will still be in touch with them or that we will just go down our own paths. Will we become friends or is it a case of me increasing my tally of acquaintances? I really enjoy the company of these people and it would be a shame if no effort is made to build closer links. But again, effort is needed and someone has to show initiative which is Everyone wants to feel loved and wanted and so he/she waits for other people to ask them out to the movies, to the pub or whatever it may be. I guess its natural but a vicious cycle can develop and no one ends up putting any effort into developing the friendship. Awkwardly today, I spoke to a girl in my tute for the first time. The set up of the room plus the intense style of teaching at uni just doesn’t allow much interaction during class and the only reason why I did get to know a few others were due to the group assignment we had to complete. Anyway, this girl whom I did not get to know in 12 weeks of tutes seemed like a very nice person and my biggest regret was not getting to know her earlier. For all I know and given the size of the commerce faculty, we may never see each other again. But we do catch the same train line so there is always hope. This might sound like some sort of romantic comedy but I assure you, it’s not.
People say you make lifelong friends during your time at uni and I agree with that. But in some instances, the friends you make can depend purely on fate; e.g the tutes you choose. Sometimes, the people you come in contact with at uni are in the hands of fate.

Most universities market their global and diverse community to attract potential students. I have to say, so far I’m pretty impressed. During this semester, I have met:
• An American exchange student from Cornell
• A girl from Indonesia
• Various people from international schools all around the world
• Interstate students from Brisbane and Sydney
Of course if you take a walk around uni you can see the diversity of cultures but its different when you sit down and talk to them. This diversity is everywhere, even on this blog.

The chill has finally arrived and I have to say, I am loving it. The warm weather was good but it’s good to finally wake up to rain. The bad thing about the colder climate is my lack of winter clothing. In the past few years, all I have needed was my trusty school blazer. Yes call me sad but the blazer seriously has to be my favourite piece of clothing in winter. It’s a shield against the cruellest of weathers. Since i can’t wear it anymore I will have to go shopping for clothes, which I absolutely loathe. I can’t stand shopping. I don’t mind so much strolling down shopping strips or markets but shopping centres are the worst. There are so many different places to visit and so many options to choose from, it’s just too much hassle. I don’t understand how it can be a hobby for you girls. Not to mention the obscene amount of dough you have to fork out these days for anything that can do a decent job of keeping you warm.
What does the title of this blog have anything to do with what I have typed? I don’t know. I saw the word ‘Hopscotch’ on an ad today and liked it for some reason.

Exams are looming, at least the pressure is not on like year 12. I was wetting my pants this time last year.

Oh sorry for the mellow tone in this blog.

Toilet count: 10 – discovered the one on first level Union House opposite the lifts.

3 thoughts on “Hopscotch (David)

1. I agree with you on the social aspect of uni. I ONLY hang around with friends from high school because its hard to get to know people in the uni environment.

2. Ah, yes, it’s totally true. My best friend went to my weekend language school and that’s how we met. Surely fate had something to do with it.

3. I had major problems when I started uni because none of my friends from high school were at Melbourne with me. I made some “in-class” friends, but no one I could really hang out with outside class – I was halfway through second year before I had any friends that I actually did social things with. I hear clubs help some people, though they didn’t do a lot for me. 🙂