Taking care of that whole enrolment business (Gianina)

It is done! Having just finished my last exam yesterday, this semester is officially over for me. I was able to sort of guess the topic for the ‘essay’ (for Beginner’s level, 150 words’ worth of writing is considered an essay) for German beforehand, so it was no great shock during the exam day itself. Not that it means I actually breezed through it – as always, I had problem with the vocab. Anyways, it helps that I actually had a group study a coulple of days before to sort of pit my knowledge with others’. It’s the first time I’ve ever studied for exams with a group, so I was a bit doubtful of the merits of group study (an oxymoron, don’t you think?). However, we actully ended up covering almost the entire semester in just a little more than 2 hours. Quite surprising really.

Anyways, moving on to other stuff… I have officially enrolled as of Tuesday this week. My subjects were just approved today though, since apparently, one of the studio subjects I have selected has a hidden prerequisite (as in, it’s not shown in the handbook). Oh, and because people in 2nd year and above have to always get approval from the course adviser. Since I am already having second thoughts regarding majoring in Landscape Architecture, I decided to take up 2 architecture subjects plus 1 landscape architecture subject in first semester and 3 landscape architecture subjects in second semester. If I end up liking architecture, then I could easily change all my second semester subjects to archi, and the 1st sem LA subject would be credited as an elective. If I decided to stick to LA after all, then one of the sem 1 archi subjects will be credited as an elective whilst the other one would apparently count towards my major. Moreover, I’ll have architecture out of my system. I can’t believe I have come up with this brilliant solution without a course adviser *pats self on the back*.

Because the academic uni stuff is getting all wrapped up, I decided to find something else to get busy with. Like a persistent itch that needs to be scratched, I have had this nagging compulsion to sing once more in a choir. And that’s where MUCS comes in. I have officially joined the Melbourne University Choral (NOT Chemistry) Society last night and I was just so stunned, to say the least. They have a concert coming up next month and lucky me, they are still recruiting new members up to next week. MUCS is a non-audition choir (yey for me!) but when it comes to performing..oh.wow. It was definitely on a much higher level than a secondary school choir. It’s quite hard to believe that they let me (and just about anyone) join. I can barely read notes and I am not really that familiar with terms such as which bar or system to sing. Even though all of that is VERY overwhelming, it was quite fun. There was no dull moment, thanks to the, er, eccentric conductor. The music is quite beautiful and dynamic too. That much I can say, even if I am not that familiar with its technical merits not to mention, the composers and works themselves: Charles Gounod’s Solemn Mass for St Cecilia (Messe solennelle de Sainte Cécile); and Camille Saint-Saëns’s Christmas Oratorio (Oratorio de Noël). Unlike in year 12, each voice part here is divided into two. So instead of singing just plain alto, I’ll be belting out 1st alto. Love the sound of that term. It makes me feel less of a music ignoramus. Oh, and if you have any question regarding the concert itself, drop me a line or you could also visit the MUCS website itself (which is probably way better than asking me questions anyway) at http://www.mucs.aicsa.org.au/

Till next time, and keep on dreaming larger still 🙂