It's not all bad, but… (Katie)

I’ll start by saying I had an amazing time on Wednesday night and I love creative writing and Melbourne, and honestly, there are hundreds of bonus to being here.
But…
Melbourne isn’t quite home. It sounds rather like the start of a poem for Creative Writing or something, but it’s so true. I can’t wait to go home at Easter. In fact, if I didn’t have two rather substantial essays due next week, I would be asking to skip a week of uni and get on the plane.
I was talking to one of my friends yesterday; she’s moved here from out of town too and is feeling the same as me.
Six weeks into university and I’ve begun to notice things I never thought I’d miss. I really miss having friends who actually know me. Not a six week old version of me that has been trying so hard to be interesting and confidant; who hasn’t actually had a good laugh in two months because no-one here knows quite my sort of joke. It’s kinda stressful, never being totally relaxed with someone who actually understands what you’re all about.
That sounds more down than I am – I’m just all out of reserve energy supplies. I’ve been skipping lectures and tutes this week (which I feel pretty guilty about).
And, honestly, I feel left out at college, because no matter how hard you try and be involved…if they older students don’t like you (or think you’re hot/interesting), you don’t get into any of the groups. Which sounds bitter, I know, but I’m yet to see evidence to the contrary. I can go and ‘support’ all I like, but it doesn’t make you part of anything more senior.
It’s kinda like all those things I thought I could get away from with a fresh start are returning now the start isn’t quite so fresh.
Now. That all sounds very pessimistic. In truth, it’s not all that bad. It’s just…wow. I need a holiday. The rain is nice, though.

2 thoughts on “It's not all bad, but… (Katie)

1. Interesting… during the last couple of days I’ve talked a lot about this with my ‘friends’ (what else to call them?) We came to the conclusion that we can’t rush things. Forming a new life TAKES TIME, and sometimes it’s just harder than you think.

I think back at the time I first started a new school. The first couple of months were really tough. But now I look back and think: It was totally awesome!

So, in the meantime, let’s just hope everything will work out in the end. All we can do is to be there for another (shit, that sounds cliché again!).

Things always work out in the end.

Keep it up =)

2. You will be fine. It takes a bit of time to find where you fit in.

To be perfectly honest, even as a third year student, I can’t really say I have met many people that I click really really really well with. I mean it’s probably not because there’s no one out there, just that the nature of uni doesn’t make it easy to form strong and genuine relationships. I have met all sorts of people, we eat together, drink together and hang out and it’s fun and all but I keep clawing back to my high school mates cos they understand me best and I don’t think that will ever change simply because they have known me longer.

Don’t waste your time gaining the approval of others (of course easier said than done) but if the people at college aren’t your cuppa tea, branch out and try a few clubs and societies. If anything though, it’s way easier in first year. In the latter years, the groups become more defined, people are less outgoing in classes and most people just wanna get the course done and over with, rather than make new friends.