Employed and… empowered?

I actually have something relevant to say: I got a job with the University! And it was fairly easy and I’m very excited.

Brief summary of my situation: Living at College, but feel guilty about taking my parents money as income. I do a lot of sport and have College tutorials a few times a week at night. I love sleep (that’s most of Saturday gone) and actually like going out with my friends when I have enough money. But I really wanted a job.

What to do? Look at the University careers website: www.services.unimelb.edu.au/careers

I had a bit of a browse and to cut a fairly long story short, I applied for a job as a tele-fundraising person. And I had an interview and got the job. 3 shifts a week for a month at $23 an hour. Sweet, right? But that’s my job and you guys can’t have it! The point is that the website it really great. And they are aware that university students need jobs and lives.

On a slightly more awesome note: loving my courses this semester. Creative Projects in Digital Technology is my favourite. Anyone else have a favourite subject?

3 thoughts on “Employed and… empowered?

1. Creative Projects in Digital Technology???
    Wow, that was supposed to one of my breadth subjects last year before I finally went with German. Is it still scheduled as a 3 hour class somewhere in the music faculty this year?

Yeah, the careers website is good. Most entries are from high school students who need some tutoring, though. The volunteers website is great too.

So far… no favourite subject – they’re all equally wearing me out at the moment.

Oh, and congrats for getting the job!

2. Congrats on the job! I’m looking for one myself. I’ll go and have a look at the website.

Favourite subject this semester is Professional Writing! So much fun and useful! It doesn’t compare with the other ones, although they’re pretty good too.

3. Congrats on the job! even though by now a month has gone by since your post and i’m assuming your stint is over…how was it? I need a job desperately! i’m trying to find one now before all of the year twelves go in for the kill! I’ve got two jobs already, so i spose asking for a third might seem greedy, but when i break it down i only work a measily 18 hours a month – nowhere near enough to support myself…ah well, that rant can be stopped now and saved for another rainy day.
    Has anyone taken up tutoring a year twelver? I’m semi nervous about even applying, because i would hate the pressure of their exams just riding on my recollections about VCE :S

In other news – my favourite class this semester would have to be Law In Society. It’s great…so pumped to start the socio-legal major next year 🙂 Anyone else picked their majors/majors or majors/minors yet? I’m thinking of majoring in Creative Writing as well…getting the best of both the creative and political worlds.