HAHAHAHAHA! (Silvia!)

I am officially employed.
     THAT’S RIGHT, I’M WORKING NOW CHYEAAAHHHH!!
     Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. Anyway, how it happened was quite random. I mean, most of the time I’d scour job sites, the newspaper or looking on noticeboards. I’d send my resume and pray it was a killer one. And of course, disappointment always came my way. But this?! It was ridiculously easy.
     A pamphlet for high school tuition was delivered to my house.
     Out of curiosity, I checked their site and I seriously liked what I saw. Then on a whim, I sent an email to the manager and promptly went for lunch… I didn’t remember anything about it until the morning after.
     I was sitting on the comfy blue sofa, waiting for my bio tute to start and messing around on my laptop. I checked my email and what, a reply!
     I was gobsmacked. Replies never happen. Heart pounding, I clicked on the email and…
     The manager wanted to know what subjects I did for VCE* and what my scores were!
     I practically hammered the keyboard in reply.
     When I’d finished- it took about ten seconds- I scanned the email and my heart sank into the pits of my stomach.
     My scores weren’t anything special. How on earth could I tutor high school students with scores like that?!
     In a newly depressed state, I clicked ‘send’ anyway. Maybe a miracle would shine upon me.
      And you know what? I totally believe in miracles now. Not that I’m religious or anything, I hold a certain person of the past in high esteem and I believe I can credit this to him.
      Miracle: the manager wanted an interview.
     I nearly dropped my laptop on the floor. That wouldn’t have been good, this is my second one… my mum killed my first one by putting a bottle of water in my bag. And the lid was loose -.-
      When I said it was ridiculously easy, I meant it. Compared to the rest of my job searches, this one took nearly no effort.
     The interview was fun! There was a parent waiting for his son to finish tuition and we chatted, playing with those mind puzzle thingies. You know the ones that have two pieces linked together and you have to try and take the apart? Yeah, well, I couldn’t do it but the parent could. Shame on me, shame on me.
     When the son finished, I chatted with him while his dad talked to the manager/tutor. And the son could do the puzzle as well. SERIOUSLY, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME?! Those puzzles irk me. Very much.
     I think being sociable with the father and son left a good impression on the manager. We talked about the position, what it entails etc, etc and she mentioned the subjects I took were very broad and I’d be ‘versatile’. I was nodding and mm-ing and I felt really warm. I wanted to take off my scarf and jacket, but I was wearing a skull shirt underneath that was probably not suitable for interviews.
     As I was thinking that, all of a sudden, the manager goes, “Oh, and we’re taking you on so that’s why I’m talking like that.”
     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     If I was warm before, I was positively burning afterwards.
      I applied on Wednesday and was accepted on Friday. And now it’s Tuesday and I’m starting tomorrow, on Wednesday.
      I’m the luckiest girl alive.
     ~Silvia
     *VCE is the end of high school exams in Victoria.

7 thoughts on “HAHAHAHAHA! (Silvia!)

1. Lucky you! I’ve been trying to get into VCE tutoring (so I can leave my $10 an hour underrated job) but every time they a) don’t like my scores well enough, even though they were pretty good, b) have just completed the team for the term, c) are not hiring at all. So I’ve taken up private Portuguese tuition, in the hopes that someone, someday, somewhere will give me a shot at helping out VCE kids.
    Good luck on your new job! 🙂

2. Thanks Brenda! I’ve heard of this company called Kumon, apparently they’re pretty good. You could try sending them an email 😀
    Helping people with Portuguese is different and that’s a pretty good job 😀 I hope you find VCE kids to tutor soon!

3. Yo Brenda! Pretty sure you’re working under minimum wage, which is – from memory – 12.80 for an 18 year old. Probably wanna look into that!

4. Hahaha, I know. It was the only job that would take me with no experience whatsoever. But I just found out today that I’m getting promoted, so… 😉

5. OMG I want your job Silvia =p I do 3 hours of teaching a week for volunteer programs and I love it, the only problem is you get poor fairly fast. And I was never sure where to look for people to tutor. But apparently the internet is the place.

6. You should totally try going to the ‘asian’ places and sticking up posters to advertise yourself! I found one of my tutors that way and he was fantastic 😀