I wanted to quote the Eulogy Song but none of the best lines were appropriate. (Victoria)

Yes, I was one of those people who loved the Chasers’ Eulogy Song.

I bring this up in light of the whole UMSU/Thatcher celebration debacle. For those who don’t know what’s going on you can read the UMSU statement here and a Farrago piece on the matter here, but basically UMSU put forward a motion to celebrate the death of former British PM Margaret Thatcher and, understandably, this caused a bit of an uproar. Now, I only know briefly anything about Thatcher’s reign, but from what I gather it was intensely right-wing elitist.

Now, as in the Eulogy song, I’m against the sentiment that “everyone’s a top bloke after death”. I think we need to keep a fairly balanced opinion of people and if they were bad, remember this. Don’t change your opinion as some sign of “respect”. However, I think UMSU took this a step too far. It’s one thing to have celebrated the death of Hitler back in 1945, but Thatcher wasn’t is power any more  What is gained from her death? The equivalent, I believe, would be celebrating her political ousting. Which was nearly thirteen years ago.

But I guess, political crazies be crazy.

What does everyone else think of the whole situation?