CFP – 19th Symposium on Indigenous Music and Dance and 4th Symposium on Indigenous Arts and Cultures
Call for Presentations
The 19th Symposium on Indigenous Music and Dance will be held on 3rd – 5th December 2020 in association with the 43rd MSA National Conference and the 4th annual Symposium on Indigenous Arts in the Academy at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music and Victorian College of the Arts on Boonwurrung country at the University of Melbourne. The event is also held in conjunction with the 1st Symposium of the International Council for Traditional Music Study-Group-in-the-Making for Music and Dance in Indigenous and Postcolonial Contexts at National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan.
Convened by Sally Treloyn and Tiriki Onus from the University of Melbourne’s Research Unit for Indigenous Arts and Cultures and Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development, this Symposium invites proposals for presentations that explore Australian and/or international perspectives on the following topics:
- creation, resurgence, revitalisation, and/or reclamations of Indigenous music and dance
- de-settling historical and contemporary discourses and narratives about Indigenous music and dance in settler-state contexts
- digital environments of Indigenous music and dance in archives, in communities and on country
- any other topic of relevance to Indigenous music and dance
The 19th Symposium on Indigenous Music and Dance will involve in-person and online presentations and performance/demonstration. If necessary, all presentations and performance/demonstrations will be delivered online.
Please submit proposals for presentation and performance/demonstration via the online submission form (link) by 15 August 2020. Extended deadline to 25 August 2020.
Proposals should include:
- Abstract or summary of 200 words
- Presenter names and contact details
- Preferred format (1): presentation or/and performance/demonstration
- Preferred format (2): online and/or in-person
1 July 2020 Call for papers
15 August 2020 Deadline for proposals
15 September 2020 Notifications of acceptance
30 September 2020 Release of program
Please submit your proposal at this link by 15 August 2020: https://universityofmelbourne.formstack.com/forms/ruiac_19th_symposium_on_indigenous_music_and_dance_call_for_presentations