Bits and pieces, with a clip of inspiration (David)

I have the option of typing up a blog or working on my assignment. Yeah, whatever, this semester is impossible to salvage now.

I remember years ago when I was having lunch with a female friend and she was complaining about the fatty food (like they do) and my response was to gloat about my high metabolism; the fact that I can eat whatever I want and not get fat at all. She warned me that guys start to gain weight in their early to mid twenties. Back in the day my abs had about 1cm layer of fat, now it’s a Four n Twenty sausage roll – King Size.

The other day on the train, I saw a guy wearing a spanner pendant. What an absolute tool. Awful pun I know – but a must.

I clipped my fingernails last night. I woke up this morning and realised I had somehow forgotten to clip my right middle nail. Strange…something about my generation’s inability to concentrate on the task at hand.

The campus always looks magnificent during the autumn months. Girls in red coats or red shoes add to the beautiful scenery.

It was good to see some healthy funding for tertiary education in the recent budget announcement. Also good was the proposed tightening of Youth Allowance so that the money is diverted to those who need it most, not well off kids who are still living off their parents.

The Budget is all about ME, ME, ME and ME! The budget is bigger than any individual. I simply can’t stand the sense of entitlement some people hold.

So Singapore Air had a sale a couple of months ago. I bought a ticket on impulse like you would buy a block of Cadbury Fruit and Nut or two bottles of Big M or a funpack of Cherry Ripes at the supermarket to compensate for a lack of girlfriend attention. But I don’t think I was compensating for anything. I am just addicted to travelling. OK, so what’s the problem? Why am I whining about wasting my savings for overseas travel? Because those savings are non-existent. I foolishly tricked myself in believe I was going to be stimulated by KRudd himself. I was wrong, I paid him but I received a full refund, so I didn’t actually pay him at all (him being the ATO). Therefore, no stimulation for me.

Lesson #1: not only should you not spend money that you don’t have, but you should not spend money that you expect to receive but haven’t actually received.

Lesson #2: despite the bargain airfares, don’t choose an expensive destination such as Japan when you aren’t being subsidised by your boss or parents.

Lesson #3: now this one is just a heartbreaker. Don’t book your inflexible cheaparse non-refundable airfares before the exam timetable is released. Just because for the last two years, you completed your exams within the first and a half weeks that does not mean it will happen again for the rest of your degree. But bloody hell, what are the chances of having an exam on the second last day? I thought only obscure subjects with small classes would have exams in the last couple of days.

I have dug myself a very deep hole. I have been searching my brain for a solution but to no avail. I made some poor decision so I will just have to cop it on the chin I suppose. Spontaneity has its limits. I have had my fun; it is time for the universe to rebalance.

However, all this airfare nonsense pales into insignificance when I put things into perspective. It is my third and final year of my undergraduate degree and the future is freaking me out. It sorta feels like year 12 again, but back then it was about what course and where. Now, it’s ten times more complex and confusing. My thoughts on this subject haven’t quite settled so I will leave it for another time.

Having said that though, I have been looking around for some inspiration, optimism and direction, and I came across commencement speeches given by prominent people at graduation ceremonies at leading US universities. The thing I like about these speeches is they are refreshingly different to the typical stuff you see in mainstream media. The speakers are not there to represent a political party, a company nor a product. Although there is an expectation, the speakers take it onto themselves to be genuine and honest; to dissect themselves and share with others their failures and the lessons learnt; and to impart on pearls of wisdom they have gained through their unique experiences and illustrious lives. The semi-private nature of such events allows them the opportunity to do just that. Here are some of my favourites:

JK Rowling – Harvard 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkREt4ZB-ck

By far my favourite. Powerful and wise but not condescending. Endearing voice.

Barak Obama – Northwestern 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MhMRYQ9Ez8

I haven’t heard many of his speeches and didn’t understand the hype surrounding his charisma. Now I do. Second half was a bit too political for my liking but first half was brilliant.

Steve Jobs – Stanford 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

Understated style yet effective.

I also liked this kids speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gwkc_1Zz6E

For a bit of humour – Will Ferrell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVu8jfhcO9k