Better and better (Silvia)

It’s been, what, two or three weeks since exams have finished and I finally had the courage to peek at my results. By peek, I mean squinting at the monitor as the results page loaded so everything appeared fuzzy just in case I got a very terrible score. It took about fifteen seconds for me to actually un-fuzz my eyes to see that I passed everything. Cue the merry laughter and skipping around in circles while throwing handfuls of confetti because I was certain I was going to do badly in my worst subject. Turns out my worst subject wasn’t that bad after all!

So it’s been a great two weeks of rest and relaxation and cold weather and lots of hot chocolate because, you know, it’s winter and it’s cold. I’ve been doing a lot of catching up on my to-be-read list and my to-be-written list. Namely, I’ve been reading Ender’s Game which is a fantastically written book and I plan to see the movie when it comes out at the end of this year. I’ve been writing too, re-working old stories and trying to make them less… awful. They’re getting there, haha. It shouldn’t take too long before they’re ready to show to close friends, who will lavish great praise and admiration in my direction because I am fantastic.

Jokes aside, I’ve been getting serious over money– yup, finally getting serious about expenses because I am going to South Africa at the start of next year! I signed up with a volunteering program called EDventure and it’s time to work my butt off and raise some funds. I have no idea how I’m going to go about it because I’ve never fundraised before (selling chocolate at school does not count) so I’m going to cook up a strategy and hope for the best. Heh. When I plan things, they rarely seem to go well and when I don’t plan things, they seem to go even worse. Ah, such is the life of Silvia.

But I am so excited! South Africa! I’ve always wanted to go to South Africa! Lions! Elephants! Meerkats! The Lion King!

And just as I typed that, the beginning of The Circle of Life pops into my head.

BAAAAAHHHHHHHSOWENYAHHHHHHHHBABABIITIWAWAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

At least, that’s how I remember it going. It’s been a fair few years since I watched The Lion King, not to mention I have a terrible memory. Anyway, excitement all around! I wasn’t sure I’d actually be able to go to South Africa because my parents are extremely overprotective and it’s South Africa. When I said I was going to South Africa, they just went, “Oh, okay.”

And I was like, what, that’s it? What the heck was I freaking out for? I thought they were going to blow their tops off, forbid me from ever leaving the house again and chain me to my desk so I had to keep studying or whatever. But nope, they just gave me a casual reply like they didn’t care less about I did with my life. So, uh, while this newfound freedom is greatly appreciated, it also feels like my parents don’t care me any more *sob*

BUT. They have been reading up on South Africa and pointing out certain articles to me. People’s cars getting crushed by elephants and stuff. Then they give me this pointed look which says everything they refuse to put into words.

Are you sure you want to go to South Africa? It’s not too late to cancel.

And my equally silent reply is: Heck no, I’ve already paid the deposit. And it’s South Africa!

I can’t say it enough time. South Africa. It’s a dream come true. Can’t wait till next year!