Study Hangouts (Phoebe)

New Year, New Me – it’s a saying that floats around a lot, mostly in the week pre- and post New Years. However, it’s been my motto for my first couple of weeks back at UniMelb. Yes, maybe it’s a little cliché but hey, it’s been working.

I’ve been making extra special effort to get ahead of my studies before I fall behind. This includes doing my readings (yes, all 46 pages which one class requires) and making sure I catch up on any lectures I miss due to clashes. To summaries, I have been studying. A lot.

The most helpful resource in maintaining this nifty study regime has been the library. Admittedly, the University of Melbourne does have 10 libraries located on the Parkville campus and I am yet to explore all of them. The one I have accessing is the Baillieu Library, and I chose this for a number of reasons:

1.) The Baillieu is the most popular library on campus (or so it seems). I am forever running into friends and it always helps to have a study buddy or a coffee pal to have a debriefing and break from all the strenuous studying.

2.) It has several levels, which provide study spaces to meet a range of needs. The basement level is the loudest and almost always the hardest level to get a seat. But if you are planning to study in a group, this is the level for you. If you’re looking for somewhere quiet to do some independent study I recommend levels 2 & 3 because they have both quiet and silent places to study. Just be aware of noise restrictions if you choose to study there.

3.) The Baillieu has the High Use section on the ground floor just past the info desk on the right hand side. In here they hold books that have a high borrowing use and so you can only loan them for a short time (e.g. 2hrs or overnight loan). This is an über helpful resource when it comes to assignments.

4.) The Baillieu is in a great location on campus. This is very important to me because I often lose track of time when I’m studying and so being close to my classrooms means I don’t have to run very far to my next class. However, it’s not just classrooms, the Baillieu is located right next to the Co-Op shop which is convenient if you are in desperate need of emergency supplies. It is just opposite South Lawn where free BBQs and sunshine can be found (note: sunshine is not always found/seen in Melbourne, sorry!). Also, and maybe most importantly, it is within walking distance of coffee from either Professor’s Walk or Carté.

I hope this post inspires you to find new love for your library, to stay on top of your studies or get on top of them now before the evil that is assessments strike again! If not, maybe explore a library for yourself and see what it has to offer.

-Phoebe

One thought on “Study Hangouts (Phoebe)

1. Couldn’t agree more – we have some fantastic libraries on campus! All it takes is a bit of exploring to make it your own. Thanks for the tips!!