Damn, Nicole! Back At It Again on Back For Seconds.

Helloooo, it’s mee. It’s Nicole, from 2015 First_Year@UniMelb blog!

Boy, it is great to be invited back to be a blogger for Back For Seconds, and boy it is already Week 3! I still feel like I’m in a holiday mood, as I sometimes don’t even know what day it is. Hahahahaha. A lot has happen since at the beginning of the year, and it feels like I have been at uni for years!

Firstly, let’s start with what I did during the summer. 😊

I did a heck lot of things during the summer. So, I’ll try, and keep it sweet and short by using dot points. Hahahaha.

• I auditioned for MYO (Melbourne Youth Orchestra)
  • I got into PGYO instead (Percy Grainger Youth Orchestra) – which is still super awesome!
  • Did a summer intensive subject, which is called, Music Language 2 (which I just pass! 😀)
  • Got a wrist surgery (took out my ganglion cyst)
  • Got a new job, doing the same occupation (swimming teaching), but at a new leisure centre
  • Rehearsed with my youth orchestra
  • Went to watch MSO (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra) with my new orchestra friends
  • I was a O’Host during O’Week (you can check it out by clicking this link)
  • Been helping out first years when they got accepted into MCM (Melbourne Conservatorium of Music) as a First Year Representative of MSS (Music Students’ Society)
  • Been organising a MSS Mentoring Networking Program, which will run from Week 4
  • Made my own personal blog, which is called Adventure Time with The Muso
  • Got accepted as a staff writer for Uni Melb Adventures!
  • Had two beautiful headshots taken by a professional photographer, which was organised by our careers advisor, who specialises for MCM and VCA students. This only cost me only $80 for two photos (edited both in black and white, and colour)! OOOOHHH AHHHHH! 

So yes! A lot of things happened, and they are sure exciting, excluding my summer intensive. That was pretty intense, but sure worth it when I just pass! WOO!!!

So what’s the plan for this year?

Ah, there’s too many to begin with! Hmm… Firstly, performing in Concert Class as much as I could by performing with my friends, or pieces that I had played in my recital last year. Secondly, doing two AMEB exams (Grade 8, and Certificate of Performance), following by theory exams. Thirdly, trying to audition for AYO (Australian Youth Orchestra), and lastly, getting my Ps. Hahahahahaha. I think that is my four main plans I would like to achieve this year personally. Haha!

For academic plans, I would like to achieve at least a H2B in my subjects. That means working super hard and diligently with my studies and practising.  I have a lot of catching up to do for my practising, since I had my wrist surgery. However, I still need to take it easy though. It has been tough these past couple of weeks on practising wise, but it is slowly getting better each week!

This week, all senior years in piano should have their pieces almost ready to go before performing in Piano Class for Performance Class, since we got all summer to practise. Some of the senior years are starting to do performance practises, and/or mock exams regarding on whether our pieces, or our scales and arpeggios are up to standard or not. This week, I had two mock exams, and I have been playing my pieces from start to finish with stumbles and mistakes with my friends. So far, so good. I’m making good progress with my Rachmaninov Etude, while my Bach Prelude and Fugue… HAHAHAHAHA LOL. It’s getting there, but I need to get it done by Week 6. EMERGARD! That’s okay, I’ll work hard. I can definitely do this.

How’s uni going so far?

So far I’m surviving well. I’m still in one piece, and that’s all I care about. Hahahaha. I’m still alive! I still have my wrist to deal with, which is sometimes a pain to deal with. I’m hoping it gets better soon before my technical exam!

I also have a brand new schedule, like any other student would experience, which will take time to ease in. I’m hoping I can get use to my new schedule by Week 6!

Uni has been a little hectic so far, that I had a breakdown on Monday this week, because from all of the sudden changes that are happening around my faculty, and everything that is happening between my family, my wrist, work and getting back into uni. When I broke down before I left my place, I really, REALLY didn’t want to go to uni on Monday, but I had meetings, classes, and practise that I needed to do on Monday. So, I pretty much dragged myself to uni while crying in an unstable condition. I’m doing okay now! Still surviving in one piece! Not going to raise the white flag! Haha!

Other than being cray and stressed about uni, and other things, this Sunday, I will be performing with my youth orchestra, and IT IS SUPER EXCITING! This will be my first official orchestra gig, and I have a solo part in one of the pieces I’ll be playing! I’m trying not to freak out this week, but I know it will go super well, if I practised hard! Hahahaha. Don’t worry, I am practising super hard this week. Hahahaha.

Any ways, I’m hoping your start of uni is going super well, and easy going. Hahahahaha. Remember kids, surviving is the key. Haha!

– Nicole 😊

One thought on “Damn, Nicole! Back At It Again on Back For Seconds.

1. Welcome back! It’s awesome to hear how much you squeezed out of the summer period and that you’re back and excited to be studying and performing once more. I hope you thoroughly enjoy this year and look after yourself in the process. Looking forward to reading all about your second year experience.