Smashing Plates (Rick)

Ok, time for a very quick post, or else my test for physics will suffer on Wednesday.

Last weekend I went home and went to a house selling party (if that’s what you call it) of one of my mum’s friends. There were about as many children as adults, which was kinda scary, and everybody else was somewhat older than me. The best bit of the night was when we all got to smash a box of plates – Greek style. Later when I got home, when putting a bowl into the sink, I held it too low, hitting the side of the sink and dropping to the floor. Smashed the bowl as well.

On Tuesday I went to a feedback session run by the Transistion Program. We got to say what we liked about first year, (live bands on Tuesday’s for me) and what we didn’t really like so much (the fact that study groups were all at times that did not suit). Now I’ve got two free movie tickets. (Although I think I would’ve done it anyway even without that incentive, just so I could say what I wanted to say.) Straight after I had to go off to a mathematics/statistics infomation session to help with future subject selection. (And I don’t think it’s really changed what I wanted to do (Statistics), and figured that I’d prefer it over Operations Research, (“The science of decision making”), which is what I’d do if statistics didn’t exist.

Garr!!! – still don’t know when Angry Man will be screened at Federation Square – late October or Early November. Something else that is making me angry right now is that the printer at Medley Hall is not working, just to make the Maths B Advanced assignment harder. (lecture notes)

Last night (Saturday) I was planning on going to a Samba meets Salsa music gig in North Melbourne, but couldn’t get my school friends to come along, just wasn’t a good weekend for them. Instead I headed over to The Night Cat once again in Fitzroy, and got to groove out to the music. I only noticed last night that on Thursday and Sunday nights they have Salsa lessons at 7:30pm, so I’m thinking I might try to get there after exams. Once again I feel there is too much homework to go to the Locking lesson this Tuesday, and will put it off until next Tuesday. Here’s a clip of two famous Lockers Hilty and Bosch.

This upcoming Saturday the 21st of October, I’ll be playing double bass for a performance for the first time this year! (Not including casual perfomances in my room.) It’ll be at 8pm to about 10pm at the Chapel of the Holy Spirit at Newman College. (887 Swanston Street.) This is completely FREE. They’ll be four chamber groups, the Trio Reginae, The Intercollegiate String Orchestra (this is what I’m performing in), The Intercollegiate Choir and The Dome Quintet.

5 thoughts on “Smashing Plates (Rick)

1. I didn’t know there were many statisticians at all. I know so many people that want to do pure mathematics (one is re-thinking of changing to discrete which is fairly close). I only know of one other that specifically wants to do statistics, or possibly operations research.

And Sophie, I’m planning to go to the Night Cat on Saturday the 18th of November. The Bamboos are playing, which I’ve heard through a locking class and being introduced to them by my brother. I’ll be there by 10pm because I definitely want to catch all their songs. Anyone else here is welcome! It’s free entry but the flip side the drinks are more expensive. (Which isn’t so bad if you don’t drink so much like me.)

And before that? Well I’ve got no plans to go out anytime before exams now! (that’s not saying I won’t, I just don’t plan to.)

2. Hmm, I know quite a few people who are doing both pure and stats, or OR. I’m doing pure and discrete, which should be fun.