Electric Dream

So mummy dearest has made me her yummy Roast Chicken as a welcoming home meal. She knows how much I miss her roasts, mainly because I tell her so all the time. Her and anyone else willing to listen.

Another thing I miss is Burgerfuel (why is everything food oriented? see this, and this, and this) BF
Back home, gourmet burgers are a big thing. We have a quite a few different burger joints, and they make the yummiest burgers ever! Awesome, daily baked bread (no sugar injected buns here), fresh veges, the best dressings and real meat. Now I’m not much of a burger person (I don’t do the meat in bread thing), so I am absolutely in love with Burgerfuel’s “Beetnik” which is from their mini menu (these gourmet burger joints make monster burgers!!!). The beetnik is basically the chickpea pattie with beetroot, lettuce, tomato, aiolish, relish and a few other things. Even the mini burgers are bigger than your normal everyday burger.

So I was astounded to find that there are no real gourmet burger outlets in Melbourne (yes yes I know there is Grill’d which is not bad, but still not as good as Burgerfuel).

Lauren and I (another kiwi at college) always talk about how much we can’t wait to have BF when we go home.

And when I’m not missing Roast chicken or gourmet burgers, I’m missing kiwi music.

Reeeeally missing it.

Especially during May when it was kiwi music month.

Thankfully for me, and for other kiwi expats in Melbourne, Melbourne-based promoters teamed up with NZ acts to present the Melbourne’s first ever official programme of NZ Music Month events. This included an opening party followed by a whole month of live acts by Bulletproof, Rhombus, Shapeshifter, Solaa, Kolab, Nomad and a closing party.

I got my Shapeshifter ticket quicksmart, and just as I had anticipated, they quickly sold out.

Well what to say, the Shapeshifter gig was out of this world. A really good set (as per usual), with the Prince bandroom being decked out with a whole bunch of kiwis (SO MANY CHCH’ers!!) along with a handful of well-informed aussies. On that night especially I felt extremely proud to be a kiwi. It was an awesome gig and left me happy in the leadup to SWOT vac. As I exclaimed on my way home “I CAN NOW DO MY EXAMS A HAPPY GIRL!”

Not long after that, I saw State of Mind and the Black Seeds, two other very good kiwi bands along with my fellow shore boys The Checks.
It was, needless to say, a pretty good month!

Thank you kiwi music for keeping me sane during SWOT vac.