The 'Hi, I don't want this to have a long title like a Fall Out Boy song' blog

Yes I am a fan of Fall Out Boy and other rock/metal/alternative bands. I am also a Science student at this academic paradise and I commute each day to attend my beloved classes. I also read a lot and play the piano.

It’s been a week and 3 days since I’ve started uni. Everything is so different now and I’m enjoying physics, to my absolute shock. I make no secret of the fact that I didn’t do very well in physics at VCE level. I just couldn’t get it. Now I do. Apparently that happens a lot with students, whether it be accounting or chemistry.

And to summarize my orientation experiences:

I found the Course/Subject info sessions incredibly useful. And by also checking out the Student Portal and LMS, I was a step ahead.

I chopped and changed my host group as I couldn’t find them. I also found the general vibe of O-Week perfect for making new friends.

I joined way too many clubs. I blame the student union member discount.

I discovered a fun paradise. The Rowden White Library. It’s definitely more than worth the student union membership required to borrow. Study is NOT allowed.

Then there’s another oasis, called the system gardens. It’s quiet and peaceful and yet it’s so close to the library and union house.

I found a map absolutely essential so far. I was late to a subject in first week as I couldn’t find it and then I had to go through a different way as there was construction work all around. It was very unsettling.

Another time I got lost traveling from a tutorial to my timetabled 11am Biology lecture. I then discovered that the Biology staff weren’t exaggerating about the number of students who would rather go to the 11am lecture than their scheduled 8am. People who have valid reasons not to be in the earlier lecture, eg. Having to travel on a train for an hour to get into the city, let alone university, and those special students were allowed to move to a later time. All the other students are just being lazy and irresponsible and discourteous to their fellow students who travel long distances each day, getting up much earlier and going to bed much later, just to go to Melbourne University. I am one of those commuters who had 8am bio on their timetable and was allowed to move it to a later time. I, however, moved back to the 8am lectures, getting on the 6:21 train 3 times a week so I can be guaranteed a seat at my biology lectures.

On a brighter note, I would gladly welcome any comments, suggestions, questions or otherwise. And dear readers, feel free to comment on favorite books, authors or series. I’ll start: Favorite author: currently it’s Isobelle Carmody. Favorite series: a dice roll between The Obernewton chronicles, The Gateway Trilogy and The Legendsong. Favorite book: any book by Isobelle Carmody.

Studying is calling me now, so I must go. And for the record, I agree with Wageesha, last year’s blogs were great entertainment.

2 thoughts on “The 'Hi, I don't want this to have a long title like a Fall Out Boy song' blog

1. Hi! I totally feel for you with the whole 8am lectures thing. I have 3 of them a week as well. 😀 Add in the fact that I love to sleep means skipped breakfasts. I guess it’s worse for you because you have to get on the train so early. Hope you’re coping and maybe next semester will be better. 😀

Btw, I love(d) Isobelle Carmody as well. I’ve read pretty much all her books. I used the bracketed past tense because I absolutely HATE the fact that none of her series is finished!!!!! It’s so annoying. I’ve been waiting 5 years for her to finish any, ANY, of her series and she still hasn’t. *take a deep breath* On the bright side, the stone key is out but the Obernewton chronicles is indeed stretching out to a sixth book. *sigh* I don’t think she’ll ever finish the series.

Lol, take care and good luck wiht your studies! May you have more success with it than me,
    Yuan

2. Hi! Im a fellow commuter to uni, and dragging myself out of bed at 5:00, just to make it in time to 8am lectures is starting to take its toll. I sympathise with you! At least this way we get a seat, and dont have to sit on the stairs in the back of the lecture theatre, hiding from the lecturer (breaking various OH+S rules). Best of luck to you!