Who remembers Chicken Twisties? {Tom}

Well I do. And they were amazing. I was reminded of them the other day when I went to the RCH for a meeting – the lady organising it had this really nice popcorn for us to eat. It was Coles Organic popcorn (green bag, flavour was “sweet and salty”) and it was amazing. So if you’re desparate for a low-sugar yumminess hit (it’s semi-diabetic friendly) then go down to Coles and find a bag.

Anyway, uni. It’s interesting but you appear to have to structure your time yourself. I have a weakness for stupid internet things that occupy my time. The Impossible Quiz. Various forums and sites, mainly about fantasy or general chat. Trying to get my uni email to co-operate with Outlook 2008. Actually that last one is a pet peeve. I’ve tried a lot of things (including instructions from the uni) but I get the feeling it just wasn’t meant to be. It was quite strange…I can receive emails but not send them. I used to get an error telling me my IP had been blacklisted – fixed that by activating SSL and now I can’t send anything because apparently my client doesn’t support the right authentication method. Bah. Squirrelmail isn’t that bad, I can live with it.

Where was I before I began to ramble? Oh yes, structuring time and avoiding distractions. University is very different to high school / VCE / HSC and you need to adjust appropriately. By this stage (week 3) of year 12 i probably had half a dozen different pieces of work completed and a couple of SACs on the horizon. Well, in comparison, the sum total of the work I’ve submitted (or have completed for) uni. is:

• Assignment One for Calculus One. 2 questions, took me about 30 minutes
  • Biology ILT on Microscopes. Took about 30 minutes, completed before uni started on March 2nd
  • Biology ILT on Osmosis. Took about 30 minutes

That’s a grand total of 90 minutes worth of work that has actually been submitted to the uni. My memories of VCE aren’t too clear, but I think that I’d have completed a lot more than that by this stage last year. Lectures appear to be things that you need to go over, not just turn up to. Having not done Biology at high school is a slight disadvantage seeing as those who did do it are telling me that we’ve learned nothing radically new yet. Maybe it’s a bit more than “slight”.

Nevertheless, it appears to be the extra effort that you put in that makes the difference at uni. I suppose I could wait until SWOTVAC to start revising, but something tells me that I don’t want to make that mistake again (my break between school finishing and exams starting was amazing). Looking at my Fallout 3 time/date stamps is something that always reminds me just how much fun I had.

2 thoughts on “Who remembers Chicken Twisties? {Tom}

1. chicken flavoured twisties are heavily underrated in my opnion. They’re up there with those noodle cakes with the flavouring that everyone used to have in primary school, as well as the savoury flavoured popcorn
    You’re study load sounds intense, what course are you doing again?
    here i am complaining about 11 humble hours of uni time… :S
    dont i feel like the bad sead.

2. They are indeed amazing. And those noodles that we ate raw…mmmm.
    I’m doing biomed and not understanding biology. it’s a slight problem.