Still Alive (Chris)

It’s true. Hard to believe, isn’t it? But I am still here, still hanging on. I did much, much better in my Law exams than I deserved to. I did less than 20minutes of study for both altogether, and got an H1 in my exam for LMR, which compensated for an incredibly shaky pass on the assessment. PPL was also very satisfying. So in conclusion, the less work I do for Law, the better the results are. I look forward to continuing to test this theory through second semester. My Creative Arts subjects were both H1, which was a nice surprise, considering that I did not think that my Poetry tutor was particularly responsive to my writing style after our initial round of assessments. Theatre studies was a slight disappointment with 86, I had been aiming for a 90, but there will always be time to improve.

My life has been about anything but Uni lately, though. I have been working pretty much full time on the professional production of ‘4:48 Psychosis’, a play by Sarah Kane, to be performed at Red Stitch Actor’s Theatre from July 25 – August 25. I am in the role of Assistant Director, which has been a fantastic experience, combining a range of both creative and managerial responsibilities. The play is intensely difficult; it is written as poetry, with no characters, plot, delineation of voices or chronology, so it has certainly been a challenge for my first Assistant Director role. But the end result will be incredible, as I have no fears about the capacity of Director Alyson Campbell, with the cast and crew (and, to a lesser extent myself) to create something truly spellbinding. You should all come along!

I have been going out a lot. A lot. And spending a lot of money, too, especially now that I have been getting Centrelink. A world away from the financially prudent Chris of last year. Actually, in many ways, I am a world away from the Chris of last year. This year hasn’t been so much about growing up, but growing out. I am changing so much, still retaining a pretty good idea of myself, but also experiencing a lot of new things and people. And yes, I will continue to describe things in very generalistic terms – sorry ‘Back for Seconds’ blog!

I hope that everyone had a great semester – thanks a lot Jim and Rick for your encouragement, and for everyone else who has commented and read my blogs along the way. While I can’t promise that they’ll be any more regular than they were last semester, I certainly look forward to churning them out when I can.

Cheers all!

C.

xx

One thought on “Still Alive (Chris)