Rollin’ with it.

Hey howdy friends and lovers, it’s been… a while… since I checked back here. I feel like I’ve been busy, yet in reflection, I’ve done very little. But then, I don’t think it’s how much you’re doing that defines busy, but how absorbed you are.

Little things are still my fascination. =) Today all I’ve done is the washing, the dishes, vegetable chopping, and reading stories on the internet while my boyfriend is at work. FEMINISMHELLYEAH. ^_^ (seriously though it’s great he has a job. Although I no longer have the distinction of being That Daughter Who Ran Off And Went Out With The Unemployed Artist. Bummer.)

Last time I checked in here I was thinking of changing courses, swapping into Arts instead of Science. I didn’t go through with it.
Instead, I changed my major to Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.  I’m not sure if it will interest me more than my previous intended major. I have a few subjects from year one that I need to catch up on, so my course will probably take 3.5 years instead of 3. But that’s okay. I do love the Uni lifestyle. And there’s a certainty to it.

Although, Arts is becoming more and more appealing. Feminism has become increasingly of interest to me, that and the history & philosophy of science (rather than science itself). But it’s still a really tough call to change over, even though I know I’d do so much better at these subjects than the ones I’m currently enrolled in.
I guess it just feels a lot to me like I wont ever find a job if I take up an Arts course. Which really saddens me, and makes things hard.
I’m going to do a Gender Studies subject as breadth this semester. I’m looking forward to it quite a lot, unlike…. Every other subject I’ve taken so far. Hmm.

Ah! I’m a volunteer for both Open Day this year and a Mid-Year Orientation Host! I’m so so excited about that! And I’m very glad that I volunteered. It’s these little events that tend to help me overcome my crippling self-doubt; I’m clearly no born leader but I do love to guide people around, *and I can do it.* Even well. I think it just goes to show the importance of stepping outside your comfort zone, especially for people like me, who aren’t so self-confident.
(side note: I really hope they’ll let me dress like a pirate again. ARRRRRRR!!!)

I’m still living with my boyfriend. He lives closer to the university than I do, and his room is warm and snuggly compared to my old place, which has a serious mould infestation. (You should see my old man shoes from the 1940s! THEY’RE GREEEEEEN. I was disgusted and excited, and more than a little tempted to wear them like that!) I really like the other people he lives with! And the house itself is gorgeous! And there’s nothing like coming home after a long day of studying at Uni to watch Avatar (couldn’t find a decent clip on youtube that wasn’t fan made. Fandom, sigh. Seriously though go watch that if you haven’t seen it. The characters are brilliant.) or Invader Zim with your significant other. Who gives good backrubs, yo.

I’mma go enjoy my holidays by doing as little constructive as humanly possible.

One thought on “Rollin’ with it.

1. The literature on university transition states that the first rule of being a successful student is to “choose a course and subjects that match your interestes and aptitude”.

In other words go with your passion! So, why not give Arts a try? Do not worry about career prospects, believe me there are plenty of employment options for Arts grads and you are just as likely to get a job with an Arts degree as you are with a Science degree. So why not go with what you truly enjoy. Anyway that is just my insight into the university experience.

And yes you can dress like a pirate again for mid-year orientation, but not on Open Day.