A Well-Timed Surge of Confidence! (Johanna)

Ergh, it can’t be time to go back to school yet. I’m not ready – these holidays haven’t been the blissful void I wished for. I have got a lot done, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

On Sunday I had my first real acting audition. It’s strange – somebody who has been acting since they were six, and this was my first real audition. The fact is that in the past I have simply been handed roles – either the director simply wanted me for the role, people have written roles for me, or I have done group auditions where I have simply slotted neatly into. But on Sunday, I went along to meet with people I’d never met before, cold-read a script that I’d never seen and try my luck.

It was so scary – I haven’t acted properly for a year and a half. I was scared that I would have lost it, or it suddenly wouldn’t come naturally the way it usually does. But it did.. and even better! There were two female roles in the play, one was a teenage girl who is questioning convention and the ways of the world, the other was a fantasy character who is .. well, Paris Hilton, but she also appears as Jane Austen. Obviously, I am 5’2″, not a stick insect and brunette so I figured Paris Hilton was out. So did the director – she asked me to read two excerpts for the teenage character and one for the Paris Hilton/Jane Austen one. After I did that, she seemed quite impressed and asked me to read another Paris Hilton one. I’m not sure how I went, but I left feeling pumped – I made them laugh, they seemed genuinely surprised and happy with what I did, ………….. I’M BACK IN THE GAME!

One thought on “A Well-Timed Surge of Confidence! (Johanna)