Song for a Winter's Night (David)

So the holidays officially started for me last week and it has been good so far. I feel lazy and deflated, which is a usual feeling for me after exams are completed. I have been sleeping really late and waking up really late. It’s not good and I should correct it before it becomes a habit. Meanwhile, the gloomy Melbourne weather has convinced me that a quiet, relaxing but productive holiday is the way to go.

My ‘to do’ list:
• Fitness – I reckon for every holiday break in the past 3 years I have pledged to eat healthy and exercise to improve on my fitness. I never end up fulfilling this pledge. And given the winter chill at the present, I think it’s unlikely anything will change, except for my weight.
• Photography – can’t wait to go for some shoots in the city/inner suburbs with my Dad’s old SLR. I love Melbourne and all its beauty in the winter; it’s definitely more of a winter city. Processing them in the darkroom would be fun too.
• Cook – I decided it’s time my cooking repertoire should expand from 2 minute noodles and can soup (is that even cooking?). Coincidently, my mum borrowed a cooking book – Jamie Oliver’s guide to making you a better cook. I will be digging into that and inviting some friends over to cook up a feast. Cooking skills will not only keep me healthy but will also help me get married, so I have been told.
• Reading – I have never been a massive reader but my enthusiasm is growing with age. I love staying indoors on a rainy day with a good book and a hot cup of chocolate. An open fire place would complete that experience in my opinion.

Why have a ‘to do’ list you ask? So I don’t waste oodles of time on the computer doing absolutely useless stuff. In the past, I have spent days surfing websites such as Wikipedia. Wikipedia is evil. Repeat: Wikipedia is evil. Well to be honest it’s a great innovation but it becomes evil when you spend hours after hours reading about useless stuff; well they are useless unless I happen to go on Temptation. Do I really need to know that traditional prosciutto is cured for 2 years? Not to mention all the links within one article and the irresistible ‘see also’ section towards the end. It has become an addiction and its time I got rid of it.

Along with the 6 week break I get, comes the endless of spare time to think. I am a reflective person so I think a lot and sometimes I wish I hadn’t. Thoughts about the past, thoughts about the present and thoughts about the future; mostly thoughts about the future. I am sure everyone thinks about these things but we usually keep them to ourselves. Thinking is tiresome and sometimes I just wished life was a big happy dinner party where the main objective was to get fat; life would be so simple. However, Simplicity is a far distant memory entrenched in my childhood.

On another note, I had a job interview with Luna Park on the weekend. I have been in many different jobs and interviews in the past but the Luna Park interview was simply awesome fun. As part of the process we got to go on rides and the group stuff we did was both innovative and entertaining. Unlike other places, you actually have a desire to work for them for reasons other than the monetary remuneration (which I might add is very attractive compared to other work). But I guess Luna Park is an exception because it is unique. And YAY I just got a call from them saying I got through.

Anyway, I think I should wrap up this blog before I get a sudden urge to visit Wikipedia.

Happy holidays everyone and enjoy your well earned break

Oh just one more thing: College next semester! YAY!

2 thoughts on “Song for a Winter's Night (David)