Mourning the loss of a blue jacket [Vincent]

(I write late at night, mostly because I get to wrench my laptop off my brother at 10 pm only…)

It sort of dawned on me earlier this evening, that perhaps first days always have to make themselves memorable in later life by causing something undesirable to happen. At least in my case. Gah. I must admit though, today has not a lack of positives either. If only to balance out everything…

Glad that I’m one of the lucky(-ier) ones – no early morning starts for me. Not too eventful on the way to uni. I had a slight suspicion that the person sitting at the other end of the train carriage was a fellow blogger, but wasn’t too sure from only the glimpse of a quarter-profile. Well my speculation was later confirmed at the tram stop, and small talk was made, despite the usual me getting on people’s nerves, heh.

Arrived at campus, headed off to Union House for the Student Computing Centre (maybe one of you was there…), originally intending to print off my maths lecture notes again, because I somehow managed to get them into a weird order when I did it at home last night. Then the sheer number of people who were already in the SCC put me off, so I trod off towards the ERC instead, and somehow ended up walking straight out again. Yes, I have a tendency to walk around aimlessly, sometimes… Well by then it was almost 11 am, so off I went to my first ever lecture – maths.

… And it seemed 150+ people must have been there, all waiting outside the lecture theatre. (Update 090303 • It’s actually closer to 200 .____.) Caught up with people from school (it was quite a mini-reunion), tried to guess how old the lecturer is (either he doesn’t look his age, or he must be in his twenties still, and a Dr. !?), took notes, yadiyadiya… I managed to sort out my lecture notes into the right order along the way, so all’s good. A promising start to uhhh, maths.

Logic next. This out of all subjects for semester one I’m the most interested in and curious about. It’s mostly to do with my being overly rational a lot of the time and all. I know I know, I’ve got my sentimentalities too, alright ? Just don’t get me started.

Anyway, woot, we’re going to have six lecturers for Logic (one of them also my Linguistics lecturer, so yay), and the syllabus sure looks attractive. When the main lecturer was talking about getting the textbook, I picked up my copy and scrutinised the name of the author. But of course… it’s the man speaking at the front of the theatre right then and there ! Ha. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Oh, and did I mention door-alarm-siren ? HWOOT HWOOT.

There goes my two classes for the day. After Logic, I found my way back to the ERC, ascended to the fourth floor, and found myself in a relaxing library environment. Much stretch-out room – just what I love. But hmm my laptop was still playing up trying to access the WiFi ; I think it has to do with the proxy. Anyone got theirs working ? Stayed there for a while, looking through my maths notes and the problems for today’s lecture, then started my reading for Logic. When you’re on campus and not in a hurry to rush home, you might as well use the time constructively. Not against a decent coffee and donut or two though – just not in the library, heh. (Judging from my fellow blogger’s posts, it seems my next target would be the South Lawn hmm.)

I guess it could be said that today really has more positives than negatives, because I’m only going to devote a few lines to the latter. Firstly, I totally forgot my copy of The Age today. Bad move. I wanted the puzzles for light relief on the train home ! Secondly, as we speak of trains, there is perhaps nothing worse than leaving behind one’s favourite blue jacket in the carriage, even though I got off at the last station of the train line, meaning I was in no great hurry really. Why oh why ? How I long for you, my dear old blue jacket…

Met up with a friend in Glen Waverley, or actually, waited for him to arrive from Monash while I was dutifully attempting my maths problems. (I’d say no asian-ness involved, but sadly…) Exchanged a few quips about uni life and all. Hey just look at the number of membership cards we’ve each managed to amass ! =P

It’s Mum’s birthday on Friday, so we went out to dinner tonight. Lobsters are cool. As I’ve mentioned, I managed to get on the laptop at 10 pm, leaving me not much time to finish my daily routine of Facebook-ing and email affairs. There was a friend request from someone I don’t know… perhaps because the Aa newsletter email unwisely put everyone’s email addresses in Cc: instead of Bcc: ? But not matter, I’m ready to meet new people, even if through the not-so-physical environment of a social networking site. Heh.

Tomorrow looks positive enough, especially because of the audition for the CTG play =] Acting is new for me ! But oh I’ve still got to memorise those two pieces of monologue…

And uhhh, did anyone get an SMS from “VicPolice” warning about extreme weather tonight ? I just google’d it and it doesn’t seem to be a hoax. Well I just thought it a bit strange that they’ve had to message everyone personally on their mobiles (whoever “they” are).

cenvii

• • •

Something on my mind still. What is with some comments appearing and the other ones not appearing ? This thing is strange…

3 thoughts on “Mourning the loss of a blue jacket [Vincent]

1. yeah.. it IS quite mind-boggling, especially now that there are 15 pending comments (and counting)

2. Glad to hear you are enjoying your first days of Uni.
    Have you checked lost property at Glen Waverley for your beloved jacket?
    There are still some honest people around and it only takes one to hand it in. Fingers crossed !!

3. @Gianina
    Yes it’s very weird = = I know my comments (all but one now) have been getting through, but for most of the others it doesn’t seem to be the case. Why is this happening at all ? Gah.

@Therese
    Oooh thanks for that =] I didn’t even -know- there’s a lost property box. I’ll go hunt after it next time I’m in GW. (I’m on different train lines on different days.)

Yeh I guess I was pretty fortunate in that I didn’t put anything valuable in the pockets. Otherwise I might have really gone insane. But the blue jacket’s got sentimental value still…