When life hands you lemons (Adi)

It’s been five weeks into uni and needless to say the assignments have been flowing in: like why do essays insist on not writing themselves? Not to say that I’m not adoring my subjects because I actually am, they have fortunately met my expectations – thank goodness, well except my breadth subject but that’s a tale for another day. However as the stress has been gradually mounting so has my longing for my home. Home is where the heart is and I’ve been away from my heart almost seven months now; I’d quite like it back. I am very much homesick. It was bound to happen I know but I didn’t expect it to be this intense. I am drowning in melancholy and because of it sorrow has shaped my mood for the past week or so. I yearn for familiarity: being around my own and confidently knowing my way around. Soon, I will be with my family and my friends – I will be home. But after my aching for Nairobi is remedied I know with time I shall be screaming for Melbourne, why, because life is weird. But do excuse the dramatic description of my homesickness – yes I may have broken down in the Baillieu library toilets last Saturday night, I mean I’m only human plus I’m female need I say more? But this too shall pass. Until then I shall immerse myself in my studies, indulge in the tumultuous life of a uni student (ha I wish my bank account said no), and enjoy the simple pleasures that put a smile on my face. Whether this will actually happen, I don’t know but I can only try! Because as the saying goes when life hands you lemons make grape juice, sit back and watch the world ask how you did it.