The Ghost of Semester Past (Hiruni)

Hello to everyone whom I have the pleasure to call my first readers!

In true first blog post fashion, an introduction of sorts is required before I dispense the sagely wisdom of one who has gone through the turmoils of Semester 1 of their first year at Uni.

My name is Hiruni and being a Melbourne native, coming to the university has been a dream of mine for a while now. Now that I’m here, the grand plan is to complete a Bachelor of Science with a Chemical Systems major, which will (hopefully) lead to a Masters in Chemical Engineering.

After a hectic exam period (one that included an assignment submission during SWOTVAC) I was surprised to find that towards the end of my deliciously long vacation, I was eager to return to Uni. Was it the fact that I became a bit of shut-in during the holidays? Or was it because I had forgotten what a slew of writing pieces, mid-semester quizzes and weekly assignments could do to a person? Whatever it was, I found myself returning to classes with renewed optimism and a certain fervour for the subjects I chose to undertake.

Naturally, what followed this surge of enthusiasm was something like a ‘New Semester’s Resolution’, which is as follows:

1. Keep up with all the lectures I’ve missed (this is going surprisingly well so far)
  2. Start any assignments on the day I get them (this, not so much…)
  3. Do some extracurricular activities (so glad I did this soon!)

With the semester almost half over, I can say that I’m nearing the familiar sense of panic I felt last semester when the assignments started piling up. Am I destined to repeat the mistakes of semesters past?

Bear with me as I live through this new (yet all-too-familiar) struggle and document every hardship faced, purely for your enjoyment.

I wish I had a cool sign off :/