A Day in a Musician's life Part 3 – Nicole

Wednesday – the day when everyone thinks, “What the heck? It’s only Wednesday? Whut?”
Look bud, it’s going to be alright! I’m pretty sure you are all surviving very well so far. Just take a breath, and take it one day, one hour, one lecture at a time, and you’ll be alright. Trust me. That’s how I survive my day and uni so far. 🙂

WEDNESDAY – YAY!

6AM – WAKE UP TIMEE! 

Conversation in my consciousness:
*Lightning strucks*
“Uhh… Is that what I think it is?”
*Thunder*
“Well… crud. It’s raining… stormy? Better rush to the train station as early as possible!”
“WAIITT, NIC!”
“What? Don’t yell at me in the morning. Jesus christ!”
“ML ASSIGNMENT! DON’T FORGET THAT!”
“OH buggar. COM’MON. WHYYYY?!?!!”

Yeap.

*Does usual routine*

6:40AM – Leaves Home

6:51AM – Express train

Had a casual chat with the volunteer at my station. We both agreed that it’s a fine, typical, Melbourne weather. Hahaha.

As you know, I’d usually like to catch up on sleep. But today, I had to catch up writing on that blog post that was suppose to be posted on Tuesday (yesterday). Sorry guys! But it’s done and posted for you! 🙂

8AM – 9AM
Practise Time!

“Holy god. It’s deserted at the basement (practise rooms at the con)!”
“Well, it’s Wednesday dal. It’s always deserted.”
“Oh yeah… huh…”

I usually practise my extra pieces such as my AMEB studies or other pieces. But today, I wanted to work on my ML assignment. I was so into it last night, that I actually had fun doing it. I didn’t get to finish it though. Oh well, I’ll finish it after my Psychology tutorial!

9AM – 11AM
Mind, Brain and Behaviour 1 Tutorial

A typical MBB tutorial is always relating to the topic that was discussed from either last week or this week. But today, we were discussing about our assignment, which was really handy!

Okay, so what usually happens in MBB tutorials are discussing with the people around you on your table. In our tutorials we were assigned into groups based where you sit on your very first tutorial of MBB. So, if anyone is going to do this subject, trust your instincts on which group to sit with. I just simply sat on a table with three other first years, because why not? There’s no harm in making new friends and introducing yourself. The number one tip of making new friends are, “be optimistic and opened minded about others”. You never know whether they are going to be one of your great friends, or somebody who you would hang out everyday… or possibly who would work with you in the future. Oooohhhh. 🙂

Remember guys, your tutorials is a chance to expand your knowledge from listening to what people think, say about the topic that is being discussed, or simply asking questions about it. So, I suggest to think about questions to take into your tutorials, if needed.

11AM – 12:20PM
Study time!

This is when I’ll be studying on any subject that I needed to do. Usually, I read back from what I wrote during my MBB tutorial, or simply doing my ML assignment.

Today, oh you read my mind so well, I was doing my ML assignment. HAHAHA.
This time, it’s with my friends who is doing B Mus. We were hanging out at Burkley in one of the practise rooms, writing/composing up on our assignments. It’s a little tuff at the moment in one of the bars. We all worked it out eventually. It takes time to finish ML assignments all the time!

12:30PM – 1:00PM
Lunch

I usually catch up with one of my other friends from other faculties during lunch time. But today, I was hanging out by myself. It’s alright! I needed the time to reflect on my day and on my ML assignment. Haha. 🙂

1:00 – 2:00PM
MMB Lecture 2

I tried so hard to concentrate, that I had to pinch myself in order to wake myself up. I usually be very focused. But today, nah uh. Maybe it’s because of how the lecturer presents the topic, or maybe it’s just me. I’m just going to say it’s just me. Haha.
I was slightly procrastinating, as I was checking our blog (First_year@UniMelb), and the LMS for messages. Oops.
It’s okay, I’ll be watching it again. It was a lot to take in like usual. Heck, I probably knew what was going on, but I probably didn’t take it in. Oh well. No worries, I’ll watch it again like always every week.

2:00PM – 4:00PM
Practise Time!

I had to work hard today, because I didn’t practise early in the morning. So, I had to give it my all pretty much. I always follow this advice that my mentor said, “If you’re busy from doing all those extra-curriculum activities, studying and practise sessions,  you must give it 100% effort every time you study or practise.”
Very helpful advice for college students, and pretty much for everyone. I always stick with that advice whenever I get very busy.

As usual, I do my studies, Hanon exercises, scales and arpeggios, with a nice break for five minutes after an hour practise. 🙂

4:00PM – Home time! Not exactly…

You must be thinking, “OOOHH. Early day Nic? But you said -”
Hahahhaa. Nope, I have Netball training by the time I reach home.

What I do on the train?
I either sleep, or study. Today it’s writing up this blog post, and relaxing? Hmm… maybe? Yeah. Let’s just say that. Hahaha.

5:20PM – 6:15PM
Getting ready for Netball training

I usually have my mum to pick me up from the station. But today, I feel like getting the bus. So, I’ll be reaching home at 5:30PM. Yeap, so in total, it takes me about an hour and 20 minutes. Without express, it would probably be an hour and 30 minutes. When my mum, or a relative picks me up, it’s an hour and 15 minutes of travelling back home.

What do I do when I reach home?
Have a snack, change into sporty clothes, pack necessary things for netball.

But today, eat -> change and pack -> nap -> let’s go for training!

I usually ride my bike to training. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes. It’s not so bad.

6:30PM – 8PM
Netball training

8:20/8:30PM – Reaches home
It’s pretty dark at night, especially when daylight savings ended. I swear, I need to get a bright yellow vest when riding. I usually ride with my lights on, with my music on speakers. I usually blast my music with 80s music, or which ever playlist that I choose. Tonight, it’s a mix of 80s and 70s music. It’s nice having your music blasting on speakers, while singing the song out loud. It’s so much fun. Hahaha

9:00PM till 10:15PM… or 10:30PM
Studying… ML of course. HAHAHAHA. 

I need to sort out my ML assignment problems. I keep on finishing ML every Wednesday night. Seriously. It’s a bad habit of mine.

Between 10:00 or 10:30PM – Bedtime

Summary/thoughts?

• I think I had a good day. I like doing this assignment for ML.
  • Tutorial for Psych was pretty good. I really enjoyed it today. 🙂
  • I swear, I need to get a hot drink before my MBB lecture on Sensation and Perception. I keep on dosing off to sleep!
  • Sometimes silly things make my day – I had a tram driver who forgot to open the tram door. HAHAHAHA. Okay, the tram driver opened his driver door. Then when the tram driver looked at the passengers, the tram driver was thinking, “Ohhh… Oopsy daisies.” *Opens the tram door* HAHAHAHA.
    It’s okay! I’m a clumsy person as well; I sprained my ankle on my first week of uni by getting out of bed. HAHAHAHA. Oops.
  • Mums are the best. Thanks mum for everything this week!

Music suggestion for today? “Pick Me Up by Air Traffic Controller”

I’ll catch you guys later!