A Day in a Musician's Life Part 5 – Nicole

Fridays. What can I say about it? Well, I have no idea. Usually, Fridays is my studying day. But not today. I was having a gloomy day today, and I needed a shoulder to cry on. It wasn’t just because of the weather. One of my great friends is leaving Australia forever, and now I’m feeling a little dull and sad. But it’s okay! Life goes on, and I know we’ll meet again sometime in the future. Right now, I just need to consolidate what is going on right now. These things happen so fast, and the only way to deal with it is to enjoy your very last moment with them, like it was your last day on Earth.

Don’t worry about me. I’ll be finneeee!

FRIDAYS

Thoughts about my schedule?
I still need to reorganise my Friday schedule. I personally think I should really sleep in for once. However, I’m always afraid that I need to do more studying. I’ll find a way to be comfy with my Friday schedule. But eh, I’ll stick with waking up early at 6AM, and getting that nice train ride on the way to uni (6:51AM – Express train… riding on the new, modern trains. Mmmmm… Modern trainss.).

6AM – WAKE UP TIME
But actually today, 6:30AM. 
HAHAHA.

“I WANT MORE SLEEEP.”
“Com’mon, wake up, you silly girl!”
“WHY? IT’S FRIDAY FOR GOD’S SAKE!”
“Do you want to go on a train with school kids today?”
“No…”
“Then, get out of bed then, silly!”
“Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. Okay! Can I have a cookie for getting up early?”
“No.”
“Awh. What? Whatever. I’m going to bring one for afternoon tea.”

*Does usual routine*

Typical schedule – 6:40AM: Leaves House
Today: 7:00AM
“Oops”

Typical schedule – 6:51AM, express train
Today: 7:13AM, express train

Today’s thoughts:
“Man, I wish I was on that 6:51AM express train.”
“Well, this is what happens when you didn’t go to bed early.”
“Fine. You made your point.”
“I told you so.”
“Hush you.”

Practise Time!
Typical schedule: 8AM – 11AM
Today: 8:15AM – 11:15AM  

So on Fridays, I usually work on everything, and I mean it. Hahaha.
I work on my scales, arpeggios, double octaves, Hanon exercises, studies, AMEB studies, extra piece (duo by Mozart) in that 3 hour practise. I have breaks in each hour, but only for five minutes. During those breaks, I usually stretch, go to the loo, have a snack, or have a drink of water. I do check my phone during my breaks, just in case anyone is around on Fridays. Fridays is always very a quiet day at uni!

Each hour block I do 10 to 15 minutes of warming up, then proceed with the piece I will focus on in that 40 minutes block. Every warm up sessions, I always break up on what I should work on. For instance, 1st Warm Up session, I do ALL scales (harmonic, major, minor, contrary motion, staccato, chromatic) and a few Hanon exercises. 2nd Warm Up session: Hanon exercises, arpeggios and double octaves. Then on the final warm up session, I do the remaining Hanon exercises that I needed to work on.

“Nic, what on Earth are Hanon exercises?”
Well, they are finger strengthening exercises that benefits pianists on their technique. I suggest that all future and current pianists/musicians do finger strengthening exercises. They really do help with your technique and instrumental skills! So get on to it! 🙂

Typical practise schedule in that three hour practise (not today’s schedule, it’s confusing as hell today. Nah uh):

8AM – 8:15AM
Warm up (all scales, Exercise 1 to 4 on Hanon)

8:15AM – 8:55AM
Desired study piece Étude/Sonata

*5 minute break*

9:00AM – 9:15AM
Warm Up (arpeggios [major, minor, dominant, diminished], double staccato scale [chromatic])

9:15AM – 9:55AM
Work on the other study piece (Étude/Sonata)

*5 minute break, while switching practise rooms*

10:00 – 10:10AM
Warm Up (Exercise 5 to 8 on Hanon)

10:10AM till 11AM
Extra pieces (such as my duo piece, and my AMEB Grade 7 studies)

I tend to run out of ideas on how to practise your studies, because I did so much work to prepare my next Concert Class performance. But it’s okay. I try to be creative with my practises. Hahaha. All I need to do now is to memorise, and have my pieces to utter perfection.

Studying Time!
Typical Schedule: 11:00AM – 12:00PM
Today at 11:30AM: I explored a new study area near system gardens. I didn’t even study. 

I felt hungry straight after my practise. But I wanted to push myself to complete some studying. Nek minute, walks around Veterinary and Architectural facility to take a look at their studying facilities. After exploring, I got really HUNGRY! So, I decided to have my lunch early. Hahaha.

Break!
Typical Schedule: 12:00PM – 1:00PM

I usually catch up with my friends from DM (Destination Melbourne), and with their friends, which becomes my friends as well. You get what I mean. Hahaha.

MORE STUDYING
Typical Schedule: 1:00PM – 6:00PM 

But today…
REP (Research Experiment Program) from 1:00PM till 2:30PM
Caught up/bumped into friends of mine instead of studying
Piano Lessons, working on AMEB Grade 7 exam preparations from 5:00PM till 6:30PM

Clearly I was done for this week on uni. My mind didn’t really want to study. I simply wanted to talk about my worries with my friends. I’ll catch up this weekend. I’ll be hard on myself to get things done. Tonight, I will be very disciplined to get some studying done… after I finish this post, and had a nice shower. 🙂

REP (Research Experiment Program)

What is it?

• It is a compulsory activity we have to do for ‘Mind, Brain and Behaviour 1’
  • We have to do three or more experiments (3 credentials) in order to pass this subject
  • Mostly, we have to do a balance of NQ (Non-Questionnaire) and Q (Questionnaire) experiments

Great thing to do for this subject! However, it does take up my time, but it’s not so bad. If you do them ASAP, you’ll be all good for the second half of the semester! It’s difficult to book a research time. It’s a first come, first serve when booking online. So, you’d have to check it every day to get a slot/experiment you would like.

I always do REPs before class, during mid-semester break or on Fridays.

Piano Lessons, working on AMEB Grade 7

For future students, it’s never a great idea to have two teachers. Things will get complicated, you’ll stress on two different expectations. I blame past me for postponing my AMEB Grade 7 till now, because of VCE Exams. It’s okay! This was my decision, my choice of heading into these problems. After I have finished my AMEB Grade 7 studies, I’ll be studying my AMEB Grade 8 with my uni piano teacher.

Ever since I postponed my AMEB Grade 7 exam due to Year 12 studies, I’m still a little two-faced on either regretting, or not regretting this decision. But it’s okay. It was getting a little bit too much to handle, dealing with Year 12 and AMEB at the same time. Therefore, I postponed it till up to this point (April, this year). I should’ve suck it up during Year 12, but it’s okay. What’s done is done, and I can’t change the past no more. I seriously can’t wait until I can put Grade 7 aside. I have been studying this grade for a year and a half now, and I’M READY TO GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH! Rant done.

I’ll write a post about my reasons why I decided to have two teachers until I have finished my AMEB Grade 7 studies.

Summary?

• “Why me?” I asked myself.
  • I can’t wait for tomorrow now!
  • I’m thankful for every friendship I have made in the present and in the past, and I will always and will be in my life.
  • Every pain you come across makes you learn lesson, and/or simply making you stronger mentally and physically each time.
  • The reason why I always say, “it’s okay” is because I know everything is going to be alright, and it will be! Trust me. I know how to handle these types of situations; I’ve been through these types of situations way too many times.
  • Things happen, and it’s okay if it happens.

Music suggestion to celebrate for the weekend? “Weekend by Priory (Oliver Nelson Remix)”

Another music suggestion to express my thoughts? “I’ll Be Seeing You by Billie Holiday”

Check in tomorrow for my weekend schedule! 🙂