*Flashy music for a flashy entrance* (Silvia)

After the tragedy of last semester’s results, I vowed to devote my mind, body and soul to my studies. I saw myself butt-superglued-to-chair with a pile of textbooks and notes in front of me. I saw myself scribbling away into the wee hours of the night and waking up at the crack of dawn to get to classes. I saw myself listening attentively in lectures and taking comprehensive sets of notes.

What can I say, I, uh… I swear I had the best intentions when I made that vow. I intended to work hard and make sure I never feel as disappointed as I did last semester. I’m studying– I cram in a few hours in between work, work and more work.

Some people scoff at the idea of placing work before education but for me, tutoring is a hobby and a form of stress relief. There’s nothing better than walking into a room full of students with silly grins and ecstatic expressions when they struggle through a question and get it right.

I’m addicted to tutoring and on top of work, I’ve added more work. I joined a volunteer program called In2Science where I’m placed in a school to mentor students in science or maths and get them pumped about learning because as we all know, science and maths are everywhere and, let’s face it, a whole lot of fun.

I’m being placed into the high school I graduated from 2 years ago (it seems like such a long time) and I start this Thursday with Bez. Remember Bez? I haven’t blogged about her in a while because, sadly, I don’t see her around often. That’s the sad consequence of choosing different subjects that lead to different majors.

However, we’re both doing In2Science at the same time– Thursday afternoons! We’re thrilled to be going back to our high school. Don’t laugh, we’re nerds, okay? We’re the type of people who examine the alcohol content of bottles and try to figure out how much alcohol is in a bottle of vodka. By the way, don’t ask me what the answer is because I can’t remember. Not because I was drunk, because I have a bad memory.

No, really, I’ve never been drunk before.

Anyway, it’s going to be tough balancing all these commitments but I’m determined to do it. Study, work, mentor. It’s everything I love so why should it be difficult?

Don’t answer that.

2 thoughts on “*Flashy music for a flashy entrance* (Silvia)

1. Yo! I’m doing In2Science too! Though unfortunately I made a child cry today… He was tired and wanting to be done with maths and I was a little bit too eager to correct his understanding of ratios…