Hopefully not The End of An Era (Sophie)

So it’s a Saturday afternoon and I am feeling rather reflective while being on just a couple of hours sleep. I have been extraordinarily busy, and am rather looking forward to Monday…make that Tuesday, where I can spend a day doing absolutely nothing! Despite being so busy I am in wonderful spirits due to some recent adventures.

Yesterday was a mix of excitement and nervous energy because not only were semester results being released and I was to attend the PIS Christmas Dinner that I’d organised, but I had been asked to attend a lunch meeting with two highly intelligent and impressive investment bankers from a top investment bank that I had heard many great things about.

I enjoyed the lunch immensely and it was lovely to meet such friendly genuine people; as the business world does bring all types. I felt bad though because due to the warm weather (and naturally being a small eater) I could only finish half of my duck risotto, while their plates were clean! I know investment bankers can be competitive types, so I can only hope “How much you can eat” is not a category they take into consideration when judging people they meet!

It wasn’t until about 5:30pm that I finally got the chance to check my results for the semester. J covered his eyes while I stared at the screen, and after spending all day preparing myself for the worst…I thought what I was seeing was wrong! I was in such shock that I started screaming. (I always react very emotionally to good news). On the whole I was very pleased and proud of myself, considering I was sick for everything except Macroeconomics. None of it came easy however, don’t get me wrong – I wish I was a genius who could study the night before and ace everything, but I’m not. I worked so hard for my marks.

The one slight disappointment was my mark for Accounting Transactions & Analysis in which I was the most ill for.

The department has rejection my special consideration application despite the fact I had bronchitis and sinusitis (I am still recovering from it all some weeks later). I am planning to appeal. Some might say they can’t be bothered, or it’s a waste of time, but I only ever feel 100% satisfied if I’ve tried my best to obtain the right outcome within bureaucratic madness.

Thankfully my night ended in a fabulous dinner at WHEAT (reference: AWB wheat scandal!) where I got to spend an hour managing a debate about September 11 being a conspiracy (e.g. it was a bomb not a plane that made the towers collapse) between an Anarchist and heavily right-wing Liberal. It may sound interesting, and yes at times I was in fits of laughter; but by the end of it my head was starting to hurt and the topic became painful! We really needed an engineer nearby to give his opinion on the feasibility of how the towers collapsed – open invitation to someone from Engineering Department to join the PIS (Political Interest Society)…!

Today begun with an 8am start at the tennis club and tonight I have a lot of partying to look forward to! Might try and fit a nap in there somewhere…however…

To celebrate the end of my First Year on the Blog…I thought I would follow this entry with some advice for those walking in my shoes next year.

Before I write my tips down, I firstly want to thank everyone who contributed to the Blog this year: Chris, Jeremy, Johanna, Lara, Jim, and Rick. While we have all had such different experiences over the last year, I would like to say how much I have admired the honesty which you have shown in writing on the Blog and the strength you have displayed in the face of adversity – each one of you has inspired me.

A massive thank you as well, to the Melbourne Uni Transition Department which has allowed me such great freedom in writing on the Blog, and provided me with the opportunity to follow my passion of writing by contributing to the Blog.

Above all, I want to thank each and every one of my readers – I wish you all an inspiring, challenging and FUN First Year – whether that be First Year at Uni, First Year of Second Year or even First Year in a job…

For those starting university – it will be a big transition – for it is here that you begin to truly take control of your life and in the process, define who you are and what you stand for. Do not take for granted such an opportunity set some goals, dream a little, work hard, be honest, be friendly to everyone you meet and find yourself some incredible opportunities and friends for life along the way.

Cheers,

Sophie

TIPS:
Adjusting to the system/transition itself:

· JUST ASK – everyone is friendly even if they look a bit scary on the outside! Briefly mention you are a First Year and they will be extra sympathetic.

· Go on the library tour during O-Week (you will at least have a vague understanding of where things are. Doing this means you will not be one of the many students who suddenly face an intensive research assignment second semester without ever have actually ENTERED the Ballieu Library.

· Keep a diary religiously to clearly set out what you need to do and where you need to be at certain times – this will be your lifesaver in the first few weeks particularly.

· Prioritise everything

· Attend all those free lectures/workshops available during the first few weeks of Uni, they may at times be boring but they do wonders for your confidence in knowing how things work, what is expected of you, and how to deal with assessment tasks/ university style learning.

Assessment:

· Work hard to get good marks. [Geniuses please ignore.]

· Have study plans

· Ask if you don’t understand something

· CHECK with friends that you are following the right thought stream in regards to dealing with an assignment/question – KEY; I FAILED MY FIRST ASSIGNMENET BECAUSE I COMPLETELY MISINTERPRETED AN IMPORTANT QUESTION (don’t ask them for answers though)

· Get help early

Extra curricular involvement:

· Visit the clubs and societies during O-Week and if possible do this alone – i.e. arrange to meet with your friends AFTER you’ve checked things out. Going alone is helpful because it allows you the time to really seek out what truly interests you. It also saves any fear of weird looks from your new-found friends when you want to join the Cosmic Hitchhikers Appreciation Society (I actually know two people who met in this club years ago and are now married) or Friends of Unnatural Llamas (F.O.U.L.)

· Be enthusiastic, join as many clubs/societies as you feel like it (I joined about 6), however the reality is that you will only be able to truly commit to about 2 (or three at the most) clubs, before your ability to contribute in a worthwhile way is severely constrained.

· Put your hand up. Run for a committee position, even try Presidency if you really want to (Look at Jez – First Year and President of Chocolate Lovers’). Getting involved in such positions helps you meet people from different years and overall just make a whole lot of new contacts/ friends. Even if you can’t get elected to a specific committee position…simply offer to help out as an extra in running an event or the likes. People always appreciate offers of help; it will not only make people remember you as a kind, enthusiastic person – but helping out on the side can also provide a number of opportunities for fun times and meeting people.

Making friends:

· Talk to EVERYONE. Whoever you sit next to in a lecture or a tute. Pretend to be confident. Act friendly. Introduce yourself, ask for their name. Start a conversation. Either ask some kind of basic question relating to the subject (even if you know the answer!!!!) or comment on something they’re wearing (people love compliments and it’s fun to give them if you for example adore the necklace they’re wearing.)

· ALWAYS GET A NUMBER. After you’ve spoken to them for a few minutes and even if you hardly know them, just ask really casually saying something like “Do you mind if I get your number because it’s always great to know someone else doing this subject?” or “Can I get your number because we should catch up some time/meet up to study” ect ect. Every single time I have asked someone for their number, they have given it to me! And 99% of the time they have asked for my number in return!

· MAKE the effort. Human beings are known to be lazy, so with that said, make the effort to call someone and organise to meet up, even if its just for a 20 minute coffee. Don’t be afraid to call them because people are social creatures and most people appreciate someone taking an interest to get to know them. Go out of your way to say hi whenever you see them. Do a favour if the opportunity arises -eg. if someone needs help with their homework, sit down and help them understand – good people worth knowing will appreciate your effort and repay you with friendship.

· Attend events OUTSIDE you course. Join clubs, go to public lectures…basically any kind of social event outside your course where you can meet different people. Even if you’re not really ‘into’ something, force yourself to go along. I am not, and never will be, a member of the Liberal Club but a guy I hardly knew (who is now a friend) saw me walking by, called out to me to join the BBQ and it was here that I ended up meeting my darling J! I have found the Tennis Club to also be a great meeting place. Doing Social Sundays, I met some really nice people whose friendship has lasted me the year so far. (They invite me to parties all the time = yay!). The people that attend are of all different ages up to about 28…so the scope of personalities is wide. Plus the Tennis Club has a lot of organised social events you can attend to meet other people.

· Be as open-minded as possible. Step out of your comfort zone. Be aware of the vibes you are giving off to others, be aware of how you carry yourself eg body language -sometimes I have a tendency to talk with arms crossed – this gives off a negative vibe and unintentionally will make someone feel uncomfortable. Don’t necessarily judge people straight up by the way they dress or a way they are acting. Sometimes first impressions are right, but other times they can be wrong too (this is REALLY important, as you may be missing out on a good friendship. I found this out second semester when I decided to give a few people a chance and found out they were great people). Be positive in your thinking. If you think you will only meet awful people, you probably will. But if you expect/hope for great things…sometimes they happen.

5 thoughts on “Hopefully not The End of An Era (Sophie)

1. Wow, some awesome advice there! I wish I’d had something like this when I started first year.

I’m glad you were pleased with your marks; good luck on appeal. 🙂 I wish you the best of luck for second year.

2. Thanks Q!

I hope it helps someone out a little. I wish I had it at the start of First Year as well! lol. “Live and learn” so they say.

Thanks for being such an enthusiastic reader and contributor. I always enjoy receiving your comments.

Best of luck for next year too!

xx
    Sophie

3. Hands down to you Sophie. U put in so much effort to help people. 🙂

I totally agree with you. Great advice.
    People should also be keen to ask teachers for help. (don’t forget they are the best resource)

Stay behind after lectures or book an appointment to see them. They are really friendly and willing to help you.
    U are at uni to learn, so dont waste ur opportunity.

One last comment: TRY TO NOT WASTE UR HOLIDAY. PERHAPS DO SOME PRE STUDY FOR NEXT YEAR’S SUBJECTS. iT WILL BE WORTHWHILE BECAUSE IT IS SO HECTIC during uni. Then during uni u can afford to participate in fun events. There are so many. So the rewards of fun are worthed it. (not a popular comment 🙂 )
    All the best

4. Aw, thanks Jim!

You are very right about asking teachers for help. They are for sure the best resource.

LOL at “not a popular comment” – JIM; there is NO WAY I AM GOING TO STUDY FOR NEXT YEAR OVER SUMMER!!!

Actually though…I am reading a book or two that may help me with my Business Finance class.

I think it’s important to truly relax though. Semesters are so busy and stressful if you are working hard, and Summer is an important time to look after yourself and de-stress, ready to work hard again next year.

All the best to you as well.
    xx

5. well u do have 12 hour+ everday *3months. That is plety of time to relax.
    Besides reading some subject content that u like is not boring.
    🙂
    all about the balance.