And the fat lady sings~

Weoowwww, it’s the end of first year! Actually, it’s been the end of first year for a few weeks now. I just haven’t had the time to update sooner because of… work. Not because I was out celebrating or anything. Pssh, how immature would that be?

Results are coming out in a few days and I’m feeling good about my biology subjects. I’ve got my fingers superglued and crossed together for chemistry. I’ve got a baaad feeling about that but all in all, I’m just glad it’s all over and I can look back at my idiotic self this year and cackle with glee at the stupid things I did. I didn’t even mention some of them on this blog– that’s how much moronic things I do!

But so much has happened this year. I mean, first year of university! It was a huge step. I’ve taken a liking to the freedom and independence. Then there are the people I met. So much diversity! And sister love, that stuff is everywhere. I can’t even start to count all the fantastic people I made friends with and I can’t even tell you how fantastic they are. Everyone is so friendly whether or not they attend Melbourne, no-one’s afraid to help each other out with exam prep (except for some of the paranoid people in Biomedicine– that’s what I heard) and we all get along like we’ve known each other for years.

I got a job by myself that I absolutely adore because of all the opportunities I have to work with children, teach them and watch them grow socially and academically. The kids tell me they love coming to tuition and they say I’m their friend. But best of all, they say I’m their teacher and sometimes they call me ‘Miss’. I admit I do enjoy the authority.

I met my most favourite author of all time: John Flanagan. He gave a wonderful speech about his writing experiences and made the entire audience laugh like a bunch of hyenas on drugs. He personally answered one of my questions on Facebook and signed every single book that I have of his series. Majoy squeal-ation right there.

I discovered syringe pens and fantastic lab partners, stabbing a dead squid’s ink sac doesn’t work and it’s hard to dissect a mouse because it’s so damned small. Spiders are everywhere in labs and the bio demonstrators probably show us videos instead of what’s actually under their microscope. I mean, come on. Not a single student finds some alien parasite in a drop of pondwater but all the demonstraters do? It’s a conspiracy!

I learned to take public transport by myself. Yeah, that’s right. Silvia who started off the year as a naive and sheltered birdy has taken flight as an eagle and knows public transport. Not just to and from the city, mind you, but also around my area in general. I can take buses to my closest shopping centre, I can take buses to work and to the library. I’m a gun at public transport now. But not with trams. I haven’t reached the realm of trams yet. Give me some more time.

But most of all… most of all, I can’t believe I got through the entire year without buying one freaking textbook! Damn that feels good, although I think my choice will have a very big impact on my exam results. Not that I care. It’s not like I want to do second year or anything, pfft.

OH DEAR GOD ALL YOU EXAMINERS OUT THERE PLEASE DON’T FAIL ME I’M BEGGING YOU I REALLY NEED TO GRADUATE AND DO MY MASTERS AND STUDY ANIMALS AND MAYBE LATER GET A PHD SO PEOPLE CAN CALL ME DOCTOR SILVIA BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO COOL.

This was my first year at Melbourne University.

It was so freaking good.

2 thoughts on “And the fat lady sings~

1. I’ll confess my heart ached a little when reading your second last line. I hope this is not goodbye to your posts yet, ’cause I will miss reading them so much!