Week 12 Feels

Holy bagebus! It’s going to be Week 12 tomorrow! AHHH!!

This semester has crept me up a little, and has gone faster than what I expected it would be. Looking back from the start of semester two, I had gone through a lot, and I’m not sure whether it is more intense than Semester 1. I’m keeping my hopes up that second year would be the best year that I would ever have, and I’ll keep it that way until I finish first year. However, I’ll be damned that soon I’ll be finished with First_Year@UniMelb. I had so much fun with this blog, and I’m so grateful that it has been a part of my first year adventures. Pleading out my problems, and how I solved it really made a difference in my first year adventures. I have been very satisfied, and grateful with the comments about my blog posts, and I’m so glad that every one is enjoying it so far!

Call me an emotional rollercoaster through the downs that I had (a lot, haha). I’m not quite sure whether I am not alone. However, I have talked to some second years in BMus, and they said they felt the same in first year. So, future and present first years, it is apparently normal to have an emotional rollercoaster during first year? I don’t know. You can ask that yourselves. Haha. There are good and bad times, and that’s how life goes.

Right now, I’m trying not to generally freak out about my progress towards my recital exam. My main concern is to have all my pieces by memory by my recital exam. So far, two of out the five pieces are slowly coming along, which is a good and bad thing. One of the things I’ll be afraid of is having my score out in my recital exam. Having my score out in a performance is not what I would like to have now, since I’m studying at a tertiary level. I feel that I would like to have every piece by memory, just because every one is doing so in my cohort of my instrument (piano). You can feel that there are set expectations for each musician in the con, and it is best to follow the expectations. Following expectations and commitment towards every thing is essential. So, future first year musos, if you would like to study in our music course, or any music course in general, please be prepared for high level of commitment for music. Having a high level of commitment is essential, as our curriculum is pretty intense. I remember back in the day when I was practising an hour every day, and all of the sudden I’m practising three to five hours a day. It’s a huge jump, and it takes time to get used to the amount of practising you have to do daily (or six days a week). I still have no idea how I managed to get in by practising an hour to an hour and a half per day. Hahaha. What even? It’s crazy!

Any who, I’m glad that I had achieved, and learnt a lot of things socially, academically, and musical aspects this semester. It has been a crazy year so far, but I’m so happy I’m here studying at Melbourne. I made a lot of new friends, and all of the music students at the con feels like a huge family to me. I never regret studying at Melbourne. Even though it is intense, and full on at times for first years, I still enjoy it at the bottom of my heart. I still remember talking to my friend about starting semester two, and we were dreading to the fact we’re going to face another intense semester yet, but look where we are! We all finally going to make it to the finish line soon. I’m so glad, yet terrified about finishing this semester. So, half of me feels so excited of finishing first year, while the other half is freaking out slowly about examinations, and ect. Haha.

Any ways, let’s finish this semester together, and week 12 will be a fun one! I’m crossing my fingers to see who would give out chocolates in the last week of semester. Haha!

– Nicole <3