Xiaoyi Zhang. Photo by Xiaoyi Zhang

Graduate Researcher Series: an Interview with Xiaoyi Zhang

Hangyu Zhang

Xiaoyi Zhang is a PhD student in the School of Languages and Linguistics at the University of Melbourne. Her research interests include migrants’ language problems, linguistic citizenship, and linguistic repertoire. Her PhD project explores the linguistic citizenship of young Malaysian-Chinese migrants in Australia under the supervision of Dr Trang Nguyen and Prof John Hajek.

Hangyu interviewed Xiaoyi about her PhD research and student life.

****

Hello, Xiaoyi. Thank you so much for taking this interview. Can you start with a brief introduction to yourself?

Sure, I’m Zhang Xiaoyi from Shandong, China, and I have been living in Australia for six years in Australia. I began my PhD journey at the University of Melbourne in February 2023, delving into the language life of immigrants. My interest sparked during my master’s research on linguistic security among Chinese international students. Currently, I’m dedicated to exploring the linguistic citizenship of young migrants and unravelling their language behaviours in Australia.

What motivated you to pursue a PhD degree at the University of Melbourne?

The motivation behind pursuing a PhD at the University of Melbourne stems from its distinguished academic standing and dynamic research environment. The university’s commitment to excellence in my field, especially its expertise in language and migration, perfectly aligns with my research interests. I am grateful to meet supportive supervisors who have been providing invaluable guidance on my academic journey.

Great! You just mentioned your research direction, so can you tell us more about your PhD research project?

Yes. My PhD research delves into the linguistic citizenship of young Malaysian-Chinese migrants in Australia. It explores emotional linguistic citizenship, encompassing everyday language beliefs and practices alongside participatory and legal aspects. Utilising a linguistic ethnography approach, the study employs ethnographic interviews, observations, and language diaries to understand how participants shape their linguistic citizenship in daily language experiences.

Sounds very interesting and meaningful! Do you envision any potential implications after you accomplish it?

Upon completing my PhD, I envision myself contributing valuable insights to the understanding of linguistic citizenship among young migrants in Australia. I hope my research will inform policies and practices that promote linguistic inclusivity and support the diverse language behaviours of migrants. Ultimately, I aim to make meaningful contributions to both academic discourse and real-world applications in the realm of migration and language studies.

I know your confirmation is approaching. How have you been preparing for it?

As my confirmation approaches, I’ve been diligently refining my research proposal and incorporating feedback from my advisors and peers. I’ve conducted thorough literature reviews to ensure a robust theoretical framework for my study. Additionally, I’ve been honing my presentation skills and rehearsing my key points to articulate the significance and feasibility of my research. Overall, I’m committed to presenting a compelling case for the continuation and success of my PhD journey.

Very comprehensive! Good luck with your presentation! So, it’s been almost one year, and how do you like your research and student life at the University of Melbourne? Have you found anything challenging or enjoyable?

I’m thoroughly enjoying my research and student life at the University of Melbourne. The academic environment is exceptional, and the university provides robust support for research and PhD life. The wealth of academic resources, including lectures and workshops, is invaluable. The University also offers a range of recreational activities, balancing the academic journey. The support from my supervisors is instrumental. They have guided me patiently, making my experience both enjoyable and enriching. I feel honoured to be part of such a vibrant academic community.

Have you found a way to deal with the balance between your academic work and personal life?

To strike a balance between academic rigour and personal well-being, I engage in sports to alleviate stress and maintain focus. Exploring places like the beach and botanical gardens during breaks offers a refreshing escape, which ensures a holistic and fulfilling PhD experience.

Xiaoyi Zhang on Vacation. Photo by Xiaoyi Zhang

That’s wonderful. Thanks for sharing your research experience with us, Xiaoyi!

My pleasure! Thank you, Hangyu!

****