Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen. Photo by Chau Nguyen

Graduate Researcher Series: an Interview with Chau Nguyen

Chenyang Zhang

Chau Nguyen is a second-year PhD student in the School of Languages and Linguistics at the University of Melbourne. Her PhD project investigates the implementation of new English curricular reforms in the Vietnamese context. Chau is supervised by Dr Kellie Frost and Dr Olga Maxwell.

Chenyang interviewed Chau about her PhD research and journey.

***

Hi Chau, thanks for your time today. Would you like to introduce yourself to us?

My name is Chau and I am originally from Vietnam. I’ve just started my PhD journey this year. Previously, I worked as a lecturer and teacher educator at the Faculty of English at a university in Vietnam.

That’s a unique experience. Is your previous experience, like being a lecturer, related to your intention to embark on a PhD degree?

Yes, my experience in the past decade has motivated me to pursue this research topic. My role as a teacher trainer has allowed me to work with hundreds of Vietnamese English language teachers amidst our country’s evolving educational landscape. I’ve closely observed the numerous English language policy reforms and the resulting challenges faced by these educators. This hands-on involvement has sparked my desire to conduct research that uncovers obstacles hindering effective English language policy execution in our education system.

Would you like to share more about your research project?

My research project examines how the new English curriculum in Vietnam is being implemented at two high schools. I’m looking at one inner-city school and one rural school. I’m looking at how the stakeholders at these two schools navigate these curriculum changes. More specifically, I’m interested in exploring how the teachers and the local English program managers at both the institutional provincial level and the school level navigate the changes, what they think about the new curriculum and the difficulties that they have.

To address this research topic, how will you collect data?

I’m doing an ethnography of language policy. It’s an ethnographic approach to data collection. I will be collecting data over one semester in Vietnam.  I will collect data through a mix of semi-structured interviews, classroom observations, and analysis of relevant documents. I’ll conduct one-on-one interviews with each participant to understand their views on the English curriculum implementation. I’ll invite provincial managers and school principals for one interview each. Additionally, I’ll interview six English teachers twice during the semester to capture their evolving perspectives.

For classroom observations, I will observe three lessons for each of the six teachers, once at the beginning, middle, and end of the semester. Each observation will last a standard class period of 45 minutes, during which teachers will continue their usual instruction. After each observation, I’ll have a short, informal conversation with the teachers, about 10-15 minutes long, to discuss the lesson and examine my observation notes together. This discussion is designed to engage teachers in the research process and to gather immediate reflections on their teaching practices. While on site, I will also collect relevant school curriculum documents, including lesson plans and assessments.

At this stage, what do you think the significance of your research is?

The findings of this study have important theoretical and practical implications in the field of language planning and policy, as well as in the context of policy implementation in Vietnam. The theoretical implications of this research extend into the domain of language planning and policy, particularly focusing on how local meso- and micro-level stakeholders’ agency is afforded and constrained by a multitude of factors. This study enriches our understanding of the complexities involved in policy enactment by considering not just the individual and their actions but also the wider societal, cultural, and economic contexts in which they operate.

On a practical level, the study has significant implications for policy implementation in Vietnam’s education system. It sheds light on the social ramifications of high school-level English curriculum reforms, offering insights into the challenges faced during its implementation. The research emphasizes the importance of addressing local needs and recognizing the varying conditions across different socioeconomic contexts. By doing so, it points towards the development of more equitable English language policies that are sensitive to the disparities between urban and rural settings, ultimately aiming to bridge the educational divide and foster a more inclusive learning environment for all students in Vietnam.

Could you share with us more what ‘human agency’ refers to in your research context?

Agency in language policy is understood as what the individuals, the local actors can do in their context. The theoretical framework that I’m using for understanding agency in the language policy process is the ecological approach. An ecological perspective on agency suggests that it develops from the specific conditions of its context, rather than being an inherent attribute or ability of an individual. Agency can be perceived in terms of both space and time, so to fully comprehend agency, one must consider an individual’s historical interactions, the possibilities available in the present, and their anticipations for the future.

After the confirmation, what is your plan for the next year?

Right now, I’m working on my ethics application, which is a bit late, but I am trying to get it in on time. Then, I will be collecting data. I plan to collect data from around late February to the end of the semester. If my ethics is not approved, I would have to wait until September because that’s the start of the new school year. In Vietnam, students have three months off for the summer holiday in June, July, and August.

In the first year of your PhD journey, what’s the biggest challenge for you so far?

During this first year, I think it was just finding the path to go because I’d started with one idea in mind, and then as I engaged with the literature, coupled with the discussions with my supervisors, the initial idea evolved considerably. The biggest challenge is to find out exactly what I would like to focus on and materialize that into a feasible research plan.  

Besides the challenge, what’s been your favourite member?

It’s probably yesterday, finishing my confirmation talk. After the talks, we all went for celebratory drinks at the University House. I was sitting with some of the other PhD candidates in my cohort. I remember saying how proud I was of all of us, of how far we have come. Looking back to nine months ago, when we were all struggling with shaping our research questions in our Researching Language class, it’s clear we’ve each made significant strides on this journey.

In your first year of PhD journey, how do you balance your work and life?

To be honest, there have been times when I struggled to keep a good balance. My supervisors have been wonderful, though. They’re the ones who remind me to take breaks and not to work on weekends. They could sense when I got a bit overwhelmed. We are often our own worst critics. So, it’s helpful to have people reminding you not to be too harsh on yourself and to take a break. I’ve been really lucky to have that kind of support.

Thank you for your time and for talking with me today, Chau.

Thank you, Chenyang.